twenty one

Lauren sighed and gazed up at the ceiling, running her fingertips up and down Camila's arm lightly. She hated seeing the smaller girl like this. She hated that they had to be back in this situation again.

But she loved Camila. And that's why she stayed.

For Lauren it wasn't even a decision. She never considered leaving. She would never even bring herself to think about it. Just the thought of being separated from Camila made her feel sick to her stomach.

Granted, they were technically separated slightly now that Camila wouldn't utter a word, but Lauren had dealt with the girl at her lowest points already. She would walk through fire for Camila time and time again. She just would.

Lauren glanced over at the smaller girl, who was trying so desperately to keep her eyes open. Biting her lip, Lauren reached out and gently placed her hand under Camila's chin, lifting her head to face her.

"Do you want to lie down for a bit?" Lauren asked quietly. Camila jumped slightly, but quickly calmed down. She looked at Lauren, uncertainty flickering in her eyes.

"I'm not gonna leave you," Lauren shook her head. Her words held a heavier meaning for both of the girls. "I'll sit with you while you try to sleep, okay? You don't have to worry."

Camila bit her lip and nodded softly. Relief washed over Lauren, and the older girl stood up slowly, holding out a hand for Camila. She took her hand gently.

"Here," Lauren handed Camila a clean sweatshirt once they got into the bedroom. When she smaller girl made no move to take it, Lauren stepped forward and gently helped her change. Camila yawned quietly and Lauren couldn't help but smile.

"C'mon," Lauren whispered, sitting down on the bed. Camila crawled next to her and glanced up at her, a hopeful look flickering in her eyes.

"You want me to... you know...?" Lauren asked quietly.

Camila gave her the slightest of nods, and Lauren decided this was a glimmer of hope. She gave Camila a soft smile and scooted up on the bed, pulling the blanket over the girl once she lay down.

Camila faced the wall, gazing out the window blankly. Lauren sat behind her, reaching out and tracing patterns on the girl's upper arm absentmindedly.

"Only for you," Lauren whispered, almost inaudibly.

Maybe you're lost
Maybe you're scared
And maybe you're lonely
Or you haven't got there yet

You're falling apart
Come way at the seams
And even when you're wide awake
You're drowning in your dreams

It's a wonder you don't know how wonderful you are
So maybe I should show you now

And you have a halo
That you have a halo
That you have a halo that maybe you don't know

What is the use of just giving in?
You know that if you keep this up you'll be more scars than skin
Maybe once in a while I could help you
Because they say a problem shared is a problem cut in two

It's a wonder you don't know how wonderful you are
So maybe I should show you now

And you have a halo
That you have a halo
And you have a halo that maybe you don't know

Lauren finished singing, taking a deep breath and looking down at Camila once more. She expected the smaller girl to at least have her eyes closed, but instead Camila was looking up at her with a distant look in her eyes.