fifty

"Twas' the night before Christmas, when all through the house. Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse."

Camila sat on the floor in the living room in her Christmas pajama pants and one of Lauren's black t-shirts. Presley was in her lap, donned in her colorful Christmas onesie, sucking her thumb, and clutching Sunny tight against her chest.

"The stockings were hung by the chimney with care, in hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there."

Camila and Presley were seated on the floor with the rest of the children, who were all looking up at Lauren. The green eyed girl was sitting in the rocking chair, reading from a storybook and pausing to show the illustrations every time she turned a page.

The young couple had found themselves in charge of putting the children to bed while all the adults gathered in the basement to pass around a few drinks and celebrate. It'd been an exceptionally long day for Lauren and Camila, who made the mistake of waiting until Christmas Eve to get a majority of their shopping done.

Now, they'd assisted Chris in helping them to light the fireplace, and gotten all the kids into their pajamas before gathering them in the living room to read a bedtime story.

"The children were nestled all snug in their beds, while visions of sugarplums danced in their heads."

Lauren glanced up from the book, meeting Camila's eyes and giving her a quick wink before turning the page. The brown eyed girl laughed, adjusting Presley in her lap and resting her chin atop the smaller girl's head.

As the story carried on, Presley was nearly falling asleep in Camila's arms, but refused to let sleep overtake her before all of the other cousins were put to bed. Lauren finally reached the last page of the story, and Presley hugged Sunny snugly against her chest.

"But I heard him exclaim, as he drove out of sight. 'Merry Christmas to all! And to all a good night!"

Lauren closed the book, smiling softly at one of her younger cousins who toddled towards her and held up his arms. After scooping him up into her lap, Lauren glanced around the small circle of children gathered around her. "Are you guys ready for bed?"

"Is Santa comin'?" Presley yawned and looked up at Camila quietly.

"I think so," Camila couldn't help but giggle. "But you all have to be fast asleep first."

"Race you to bed!" one of the younger cousins hopped to his feet and dashed towards the stairs. Before Lauren or Camila had a chance to say anything, there was a stampede of children ascending up the staircase.

Presley glanced up, debating following them, but eventually deciding against it and lying her head back on Camila's shoulder. The brown eyed girl stood up, holding a sleepy Presley, and gave Lauren a soft smile. "That was easy."

"Tell me about it," Lauren laughed and stole a quick kiss from Camila before following them up the stairs. Camila and Presley soon followed.

Ten minutes later, Presley was bundled under the covers on one of the air mattresses they'd blown up for the visiting family. As always, Sunny was nestled snugly between her shoulder and chin, and both Camila and Lauren sat on the edge of the bed.

"Santa's not gonna forget me, right?" Presley's small eyebrows furrowed in concern. "Does he know that we're in Florida?"

"Of course he does, goofball," Lauren laughed, leaning down to kiss the tiny girl's forehead. "Trust me on this one."

"Promise?" Presley gazed up at her with hopefulness flickering in her eyes. She held slid her hand out from under the blankets and held out her pinky finger.