twenty eight

"Are you sure you're okay?"

Two days had passed since Lauren's sporadic fever. Luckily it had been nothing major, but Camila had still forced her to take it easy. Nothing would stop Lauren from going to Normani and Dinah's Halloween party, though.

"I'm positive, babe," Lauren shook her head and laughed softly at her wife's protectiveness. "I told you already, if I start feeling sick, I'll make sure you're the first person that knows."

"Good," Camila nodded curtly. "Now get out of the room so I can change."

Laughing, Lauren grabbed her bag of things before disappearing into the bathroom across the hallway. For some reason, Camila had insisted on getting her costume with Dinah instead of Lauren. She wanted it to be a surprise.

Lauren had opted for something simple, donning a black dress, a red cape, and vampire teeth. It had taken her a while to convince Camila that she was just pretending to be something evil, and not actually encouraging vampires.

It didn't take her long to change into her costume. She ran a straightener through her hair a few times and applied her makeup slightly heavier around her eyes. When she finished, she looked in the mirror and gave her reflection a small nod of approval.

"All done!" Lauren called, leaning against the doorframe of the bathroom and running her fingers through her hair. She heard rustling on the other side of the door and waited as Camila rushed to put the finishing touches on her costume.

"Ready?" Camila giggled from the bedroom. Lauren couldn't help but laugh softly, hearing the excitement laced in her wife's voice.

"Come on out," Lauren watched as the door slowly opened and Camila peered out.

"Count me down," the smaller girl whispered. Lauren raised her eyebrows and gave in, motioning for Camila to close the door once more.

"Presenting the wonderful, the beautiful, the magical, the ethereal, the most adorable girl in the world, the l-,"

"Faster!" Camila cut off Lauren's dramatic speech, bursting into laughter from behind the door.

"Fine," Lauren rolled her eyes and feigned disappointment, making Camila laugh even harder. "In three... two... one!"

Camila pushed the door open and padded into the hallway, a shy smile on her face. The first thing Lauren noticed were the sparkly blue wings on her back. Camila wore a simple white dress underneath them. And as always, her white converse. She spun around in a circle once and looked at Lauren hopefully.

"You're a beautiful butterfly," Lauren laughed softly, giving Camila a soft smile. She grew confused when the smaller girl paused and looked at her confusedly.

"I am a fairy," Camila corrected her, a shy smile on her face. "Is it that hard to tell?" she asked, growing worried.

Lauren quickly shook her head, grabbing Camila's hand and gently guiding her into the bathroom. The smaller girl looked at her in confusion.

"You're a beautiful fairy," Lauren reassured her, squeezing her hand. "But I know just the trick to pull your outfit together." Gently, she lifted her wife up by the hips and places her on the counter. Camila giggled.

"Don't ask me why I have this," the dark haired girl laughed as she pulled out her makeup bag. "But I'm glad I do, because it comes in handy on nights like tonight."

Camila watched as Lauren dug through the bag and retrieved a small stick of roll on glitter. She couldn't help how wide her eyes grew, and she clapped her hands in excitement, making Lauren laugh.