xix. GUIDING CURRENTS

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

NINETEEN
GUIDING CURRENTS

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

          "They found a body."

          Four words that could cause paradigm shifting effects, four words that meant that a life had to come to an untimely end.

          These were four words that had become a literal part of the everyday vocabulary of Scott McCall, Stiles Stilinski, and Carson Bradley. It seemed that everyday held a new body to be found, another name crossed off the list of the living. Another name, another person sacrificed at the whim of the dark druid that was gallivanting around town, wreaking havoc like it was a normal extracurricular activity.

          When Scott had plucked the moth off the leather upholstery of the car without a driver, it had seemed like such an odd occurrence. But, just like everything else that happened in Beacon Hills, it ought to have meaning.

          And that meaning was made known within minutes of finding that single moth, the event apparently calling for both the Sheriff and his spastic son to show up to what was deemed a crime scene. Because while the ER attending having never made it in was definitely shocking, the fact that a car rolled into the parking lot by itself was even more confusing.

          Especially because it was Dr. Hilliard's car.

          Melissa's statement had ended up being taken, with the three teenager's surrounding both the nurse and Stiles' dad. The sheriff had been riddled with confusion, not understanding how the car could simply roll into the parking lot without a driver. He also tried, and failed horribly, to assume what the others were trying to explain to him before they could even open their mouths. Which then led to Stiles' effectively cutting him off, making it very clear to his father that Melissa was attempting to say that there were two separate missing person cases.

          Two separate kidnappings.

          However, although what Stiles had said was in fact what was going on, he and his two friends had been ushered off to the side so that the two parents could talk. But while the statement had been taken in the midst of all the ambulances and police cruisers, the two creatures of the night and the human had begun to concoct their own statements about what exactly was going down.

          Deaton had mentioned a sort of process in which the Darach would take sacrifices. Five categories, three for each. Carson wanted to point out that she was certain that the events of last Saturday made no sense at all, considering there were more than five werewolves put up for potential sacrificing. But she kept her mouth shut as Stiles rambled on, convinced this was most certainly a sacrifice. Because two doctors were missing, and doctors ultimately fit into the category that Deaton had explicitly mentioned: healers.