xxiii. POISONED PAWN

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

TWENTY-THREE 
POISONED PAWN

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

          "So, are we just going to barge in there and demand she tell us her evil plan? Or do we ask her if she's the creepy ass druid killing everyone first? Is there some sort of werewolf-emissary interrogation etiquette I should be aware of first? And how are we handling this situation? Like, should we be doing a little Good Werewolf Bad Werewolf scenario? Ha, get it? Good Werewolf Bad Werewolf. Y'know, instead of Good Cop Bad Cop?"

          "That was a terrible pun."

          "Suck my ass, McCall."

          Scott, who had been silently tugging Carson down the schools almost deserted hallways towards Morrell's office, stopped in his tracks. His face crinkled in amused confusion as he glanced over at the girl whose hand was clutched in his grasp. "Really, Carson?"

          Carson sighed over dramatically at her best friend, topping it off with a giant eye roll. "Scott, I know what you're thinking, life or death situations occurring here. Still doesn't mean my werewolf puns should go unappreciated."

           A humorless laugh escaped Scott, who was shaking his head at the girl. His grip on her hand tightened once more and he began walking again, his feet still taking him in the direction of the emissary slash guidance counselor's office. "I think you were more tolerable when you didn't like being a werewolf."

          Beside him, she shrugged. "To be honest, I'm still on the fence about this whole creature of the night thing. But really, if I couldn't make shitty puns and sarcastic comments about our increasingly fucked up situation, would I really be Carson Bradley?"

          Scott pondered this for a moment, before chuckling. "Probably not, no."

          "Then it's settled, McCall. Appreciate my damn Good Cop Bad Cop werewolf pun."

          "Fine, I appreciate it."

          "The lack of enthusiasm in your tone says otherwise Mr. McCall." A snort. A pause. And then, "So, seriously, how the hell are we just going to confront her about this?"

          Scott faltered in his fast paced walk, before shooting her a concerned look. He bit his lip, before adjusting his grip on his best friend's arm. Shaking his head lightly, he continued to pull her along until they were outside Morrell's door. It was shut, but the sounds of a filing cabinet screeching inside let the two werewolves know that the emissary in question was still in the school.

          "I don't know, but this is one of the only options we have right now," Scott murmured, finally answering the question. And without another word, he pulled open Morrell's door before unceremoniously shoving Carson in.