16- Sympathy

Remus's POV-

I went to the first place I could think of, The Burrow. My heart was still pounding, but the more deep breaths I took, the calmer I became. I knew that her sobs would haunt me until my dying day. She was beautiful, an angel, and I was only trying to protect her, but I had probably done worse. I wanted to apologise, to hold her once more, but she was too precious to me to force such a curse upon her. Her hair had faded to a pale brown as I'd left, I knew it all too well.

I had seen it when Sirius died, when she was depressed. Thats what I had done to such a pure girl, but it was for her own safety, right? I hoped that Molly could help take some guilt off my shoulders. From where I landed by the gate, I could see her sitting in the kitchen, in deep conversation with the twins. I made my way up the path, completely oblivious to the mess my hair was in, the fact that I still had tinted pink lips and the tears that ran all down my face.

I gently knocked on the door, suddenly unsure of what the mother of seven would say. Slowly, I turned away from the door, starting to make my way up the path once more. I had my hand on the gate when I heard the door open, and Molly's voice followed soon after, "Is that you Remus dear?"

I was about to turn around when I heard the crack of someone apparating. The moment I heard the gravel skid, I knew who it was. I looked up and, sure enough Nymphadora Tonks was standing before me. Her mouth opened slightly when she saw me and the beaded droplets of water were still clinging to her dark lashes. She gently held my gaze, her deep blue eyes that swum with tears showing a mixture between anger, longing and of course, sadness. Her once bright hair was a dull brown that sat around her face, hiding the odd stray tear.

After a couple more seconds, I left her again, shaking my head as I tried to convince myself what I was doing was right.

I returned to the small, tumbledown cottage I was ashamed to own. The patched up sofa was nothing compared to the one in Tonks's house, I would struggle to find anything that could even compare. Including the happiness she gave me whenever she entered a room.

I was sat with my head in my hands at the kitchen table, small salty droplets seeping through my hands, when a loud knock came at the door.

"Who is it?" I shouted, getting to my feet and hurrying into the hallway, wiping away my tears as I did so.

"Alastor Mad-eye Moody." Came the gruff reply, "Auror, ex Hogwarts teacher like yourself and my patronus is a lion." I opened the door and let the grizzled, ragged man in with a small smile.

"Have you seen Nymphadora?" He asked straight away, and I felt as though a hand had just grabbed my intestines and tied them in a knot.

"Not recently." I replied swiftly, shutting the door behind him. He stayed in the small corridor, apparently intent on only staying a short while, "Why?"

"Doesn't matter." He dismissed it, looking curiously at me, "I just wanted to inform you of a new mission that's come up, thought you would be the man for the job."

"Of course." I nodded, "What is it?" Straight away, though I shamed myself for it, I hoped that the longer I was gone, the higher the chance that Tonks would forget about me was.

"Going undercover with werewolves." Moody said gruffly, "You'd be gone for the whole year, but its essential if we are to try to get them on our side."

"Sure." I agreed instantly, "Yeah that'll be fine."

"Are you sure?" He sounded rather surprised, but lowered his voice as though afraid of being overhead before continuing, "What about Tonks? She'll miss you, its obvious how she feels about you."

"I've already had this conversation with her." I said sharply, once more holding in a tear that grew in my eye, "Hopefully she can just forget about me and move on."

"She loves you." He said matter of factly, looking me straight in the eye, "If you die, she'll kill me for ever sending you, and then you again. And I know you like her."

I bit my lip to stop me from asking how, but Moody being Moody, sensed why and answered anyway. And if his smirk could get any bigger, I don't think it would fit on his marred face.

"You've still got her lipstick on your lower lip. I knew you were lying when you said you hadn't seen her." My hand jumped to my mouth and sure enough, when I pulled my fingers away, they had a smear of red on them, much the same colour as my face.

"I know you both too well." He chuckled, thankfully saving me from having to say anything, but cutting short as he saw my tears, "What did you do?"

"Its for her own safety." I said blankly, "Dora knows full well that we can't and shes just being stupid. She'll get over it."

Moody glared at me for a couple of seconds, before saying, "You leave in two days. Be ready," and walking out.

I wanted so badly to go back, I really did, but I would keep her safe. Even if that meant leaving so that we couldn't come into contact, then so be it. I hurriedly wiped the remaining red from my lips, crying once more. She was probably sitting with Molly now, drinking hot chocolate and sobbing into her shoulder.

But there she was safe, safe from me...

A.N-
Leaving 4am tomorrow:'-(. Not getting back for two and a bit weeks so obviously can't update:-(. See ya then little readers and I love you all!!!!!!!!!
Rhea
--x--