Chapter 13

Piper's pov

                            Desperately, I cupped more fire in my  palm. Ignoring the pain, I dripped the liquid into Jason's mouth. He didn't respond.

                              I tried again, pouring a whole handful down his throat.This time he spluttered and coughed. I held him as he trembled, the magical fire coursing though his system. His fever disappeared. His boils faded. He managed to sit up and smack his lips.

                             "Ugh," he said. "Spicy, yet disgusting."

                              I laughed weakly. I was so relieved, I felt light-headed. "Yeah. That pretty much sums it up."

                         "You saved us."

                        "For now,"I said. "The problem is, we're still in Tartarus."

                        Jason blinked. He looked around as if just coming to terms with where they were. "Holy Hera. I never thought . . . well, I'm not sure what I thought. Maybe that Tartarus was empty space, a pit with no bottom. But this is a real place." 

                  I recalled the landscape she'd seen while  they fell--- a series of plateaus leading  ever downward into the gloom.

              "We haven't seen all of it," I warned. "This could be just the first tiny part of the abyss, like the front steps."

     "The welcome mat," Jason muttered.

           We both gazed up at the blood colored clouds swirling the gray haze. No way we would  have the strength to climb back up that cliff, even if we wanted to. Now there were only two choices" downriver  or upriver, skirting the banks of the Phlegethon.