Chapter 22

Jason's pov

                        So what if they were in Tartarus? So what if they stood a slim chance of surviving.He  was so glad that Piper and him were together, he had the ridiculous urge to smile. 

                       Physically, Jason felt better too, though his clothes looked like he'd been through a hurricane of broken glass. He was thirsty, hungry, and scared out of his mind.(Though he wasn't gonna tell Piper that), but he'd shaken off the hopeless cold of the River Cocytus. And as nasty as the firewater tasted, it seemed to keep him going.

                        Time was impossible to judge. They trudged along, following the river as it cut through the harsh landscape. Fortunately the empousai  weren't exactly speed walkers.They shuffled on their mismatched bronze and donkey legs, hissing and fighting each other, apparently Medea was the only one besides the cheerleader empusai who were in a hurry to get to Hades shrine.

                  Once, the demons sped up in excitement and swarmed something that looked like a beached carcass on the river bank. Jason couldn't tell what it was--a fallen monster? An animal of some sort? The empousai attacked it with relish.

              When the demons moved on with a gross out looking Medea, Jason and Piper reached the spot and found nothing left except a few splintered bones and glistering stains drying in the heat of the river. Jason had no doubt the empousai  would devour demigods with the same gusto.

            "Come on." He led Piper gently away from the scene.

              "We don't want to lose them."

               As they walked, Jason thought about the first time he met Medea. Wasn't a time Jason liked to remember. 

                   After a few more miles, the  empousai disappeared over a ridge. When Jason and PIper caught up, they found  themselves at the edge of another massive cliff. The river Phlegethon spilled over the side in jagged tiers of fiery water falls. The demon ladies were picking their way down the cliff, jumping form ledge to ledge like mountain goats. While Medea had used her magic to get down.

                Jason's heart crept into his throat. Even if he and Piper reached the bottom of the cliff alive, they didn't have much to  look forward too. The landscape below them was bleak, ash- gray plain bristling with black trees, like insect hair. The ground was pocked with blisters. Every once in awhile, a bubble would swell and burst, disgorging a monster like a larva from a egg.

               Suddenly Jason wasn't hungry anymore.

                 All the newly formed Monsters were crawling and hobbling in the same direction--- towards a bank of black fog that swallowed the horizon like a storm front. The Phlegethon flowed in the same direction until halfway across the plain, where it met another river of black water--maybe the Cocytus?   The two floods combined in a steaming, boiling cataract and flowed on as one  towards the black fog.

        Like you  long chapter? Comment what you think will happen next in the COMMENTS