I am not a Ghost... You just can't see me [7]

The train trip seemed to go on forever. I had planned to read a book to pass the time but Jonathon and the rest of the pack made it impossible by constantly getting up and talking so loudly that I could hear them through my headphones.

They were leaving me with no choice; either I stay in this cart and be hassled until we get to Seattle (which didn’t seem to be getting any closer) or I go sit with Mari and get some peace and quiet – at least for a little while anyway- and be faced with the tormenting of being called Luci and being beat up for being Alpha’s Pet being worse for the next month and a half.

I made my way into the cart ahead where Mari was. She had booked two cabins for the pack; the pack decided that we could share one and she would get the other… a decision I admit was nearly as insane as the old bird lady we saw in central park when we visited New York last year; she crying loudly because her pigeon ‘Paul’ didn’t talk to her anymore, she was taking comfort by talking to a statue…  

The decision had all 15 of us stuffed in a train cabin fit for 8.

When  I got to the door of her cabin a paused for a second, running through the possible scenarios that could unfold as I asked if I could stay with her in the cabin… none of them had me very excited about knocking on the door.

‘Just open the bloody door Lucus, I know it is you’ I heard Mari’s chirpy voice say from the cabin.

I open the cabin door sheepishly and stick my head in  ‘ umm Mari… do you think that … uh.. that I could stay in here for the rest of the trip?’ I ask readying myself for a quick escape back to the other cabin if she said no.

‘Sure, I mean I booked two cabins for a reason but you guys are so scared that I might try something while your sleeping that you stuff yourselves like sardines into the one cabin’ She replied with a smile on her face.

I stepped inside relieved that I would now have some peace and quiet for the rest of the trip.

Mari was relaxing at the table in the middle of the cabin feet stretched across the seat with a book in her hand. I took a closer look to discover she was reading ‘The Art of War’ which was not good because in order to minimize the harassment from the other guys I had taken the dust cover from my copy of ‘The Art of War’ and slipped it over my copy of ‘The notebook’.  I went into instant panic mode.

What if she notices and starts a conversation about it?! I didn’t read the book I just got it so I could use it as a cover up!

Mari’s POV

“Edgar sighed; and, walking to the window, looked out towards Gimmerton Kirk. It was a misty afternoon, but the February sun shone dimly, and we could just distinguish the two fir-trees in the yard, and the sparely-scattered gravestones.”

I am brought out of my book when I hear footsteps coming up the hall. I quickly check that ‘The Art of war’ dust cover is still concealing my Wuthering Heights book. I figure stops outside my cabin. I does not take me long to figure out who it is, I relax a little in my seat; ‘ Just open the bloody door Lucus, I know it is you’

He opens the door and sheepishly pokes his head in ‘ umm Mari… do you think that … uh.. that I could stay in here for the rest of the trip?’

He is so cute when he is unsure what I am going to do, he is like a 8 year old unsure how to ask for a favor. I feel sorry about all the harassment he gets from the others but what they say is true Lucus really is my favorite; he is like a little brother to me … not that I would ever admit that.

“Sure, I mean I booked two cabins for a reason but you guys are so scared that I might try something while your sleeping that you stuff yourselves like sardines into the one cabin” I reply, happy for the company… I mean it is not like we are going to have anything to talk about, he will let me read my book and he will do whatever the hell he wants. As he walks in I notice the book he is holding in his hand… ‘The Art of War’ …

Crap!

Lucus’s POV

Crap

Crap

Crap

Crap!

If I start the conversation first then she will think I am actually reading it…

‘So, I see your reading The Art of War too, good book isn’t it?’ I ask casually.

Please just leave it at that! Please don’t ask anything specific… please

Yeah it is, so what’s your favorite chapter so far?’  Mari asked , she was now looking at me rather intensely like she really wanted to know what my favorite chapter was.

‘umm… uhh … that one with … the … uh … strategies that that one guy used in … um that war… umm…’  I stuttered out

she is going to know something is up, she is going to pull my up on the fact I haven’t read it … damn … damn … damn !

‘Oh yeah.. no I like that bit too…umm yeah’ Mari replied sounding not all to sure about what she was saying, but after that she said nothing and went back to reading her book. The cabin fell silent. I decided I might as well go back to my own book. After about two chapters I heard Mari squirming around in her seat so I look up to see a sheepish look on her face.

‘Lucus…’ Mari asks ‘honestly, are you reading the Art of War?’  She asks half hiding behind her book.

 Crap! I can’t lie to her…

‘no, I am just using the dust cover to hide the fact that I am actually reading The notebook’ I say and lower my head

The next thing I hear is Mari laughing uncontrollably behind her book, I can’t stop myself from snapping at her

‘it is not THAT funny! The notebook is a brilliant love story! It is not like you have never read a book you would be embarrassed to tell people about!’

Mari controls her laughter long enough to respond a huge smile painted across her face.

‘I am not laughing at the fact you are reading The Notebook , although it is kind of funny I always thought of you as a To kill a mocking bird kind of person ha ha… I am laughing because of the fact that we both chose the same books dust cover to hide our actually books…’ Mari spluttered out before rolling back into her laughing fit.

I just stared at her for a moment trying to figure out whether this was some kind of joke when she pulled out Wuthering Heights from behind the dust cover.

I couldn’t help myself from laughing. Who knew Mari was a fan of the classics … it is times like these when I am kind of happy I am Mari’s favorite.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know it has been ages since I last uploaded  but I have been busy trying not to fail subject at school ,  First off i would like to say this is unedited so excuse the bad punctuation and grammar and anything else I am sick at the moment and can not be bothered editing at this moment .... secondly it is pretty obvious ... I do not own any part of the books mentioned in this chapter  all works are copyright to their original authors ... blah blah blah ... tell me what you think ... this one is a bit longer than the others but less happens in it to yeah ... i hope to upload more frequently in the coming weeks but there is no promises 

thanks for reading

p.s I have only read one of the books mentioned and that is ' to kill a mocking bird' so all opinions of books are completely fabricated :P 

^.^