When I was Normal: Part 2

Rogue is on her way but she is being plagued by old memories.

It was a long walk but Rogue made it to the bus station before dawn

It was a long walk but Rogue made it to the bus station before dawn. She thought it would have been so nice to still have that fuzzy blue mutant's teleporting power, but it had faded away long ago. She really didn't mind discovering she was a mutant, but why did she have to have such a dangerous and complicated power. Would she ever be able to touch anyone without hurting them? She wasn't hopeful. At sixteen, she felt her life was over.

She walked into the station and made her way up to the ticket booth. When's the next bus headin' out?" Rogue asked. She had the hood of her jacket up wanting to conceal herself as much as possible.

"Twelve minutes, ma'am," the man said. "Goin' t'Louisiana."

"Ah'll take it," Rogue said and handed him the money. He handed her the ticket, and she sat down on one of the long hard benches. She was the only person in the waiting area which she was grateful for. It gave her a chance to think. She tried desperately to assess when it all had gone wrong.

She was never well-liked, not exactly the popular girl. She was always pretty much a loner, even as a small child. She had rather spent her time in her escape zone by reading her favorite novels. Anne Rice had been one of her favorite authors, and she always raided the local bookstore whenever she put out a new novel. She had left them all behind when she left that night, save for one: Interview with a Vampire. The copy she carried now was never read seeing that she bought this one as a replacement when one of her teachers caught her reading in class and confiscated it.

Now, Rogue had become the one thing she never thought she'd ever be, homeless and on the run. If the X-Men or local authorities weren't looking for her someone else would be, either to exploit her or destroy her. Maybe it was her own paranoia talking, but she wasn't about to take a chance. She couldn't trust anyone anymore, not even herself. She just hoped that Tara wouldn't let it slip about her surprise visit that night, but knowing Tara she would take that secret to the grave.

She heard the man call on the loud speaker from his booth. The Louisiana bus had just pulled in, and he really thought it necessary to make a spectacle for just one person. She got up out of her seat barely acknowledging the man's presence. Outside, she entered the bus and handed the driver her ticket. She walked all the way to the back and sat down in the back-corner seat. The bus was half empty and virtually no one was sitting in the area she chose. She opened her carry-on bag and took out her book, but only after reading a few paragraphs she realized she couldn't concentrate. She had read the same line three times over and still couldn't remember what it said.

After the bus started to move, she closed her book and put it back into her bag. She clutched her butterfly necklace that she wore around her neck and sat back in her seat. She had tried to remember where she had gotten it. She had a dream about it once, but it seemed so real at the time that she thought it had truly happened. Her aunt Irene had convinced her that it was simply a dream and nothing more.