Gift of Friendship: Part 2

They strolled down the walkway seeing different vendors selling things, games of all kinds. They were all shouting for customers or rather victims. Most games were a scam, but Anna Marie was dying to try one.

"Hey, little lady," a street vendor called to her. "Knock three down and win a prize."

"Sounds easy enough," she said as they stopped. There were three colored blocks forming a triangle.

"Wanna try it, petite?" Remy asked her.

"Well, ah'm not very good at throwin'. Can't even win at that claw game."

"Den I'll win ya somt'ing," Remy said proudly. "Remy real good at games."

"Okay," she said. And stood back so his could take position.

The vendor handed him a ball, and Remy sized up the distance between himself and the three blocks. Slowly he threw is arm back and released the ball. In one shot he knocked down all three blocks. In her excitement, Anna Marie jumped up and down and threw her arms around Remy.

"You did it," she squealed.

"Did you doubt that I would?" he asked as she let go of him.

"Well, maybe just a little," she said. "So, what we win?"

"Take your pick," the man said.

"You choose, Anna," Remy said.

"Are ya sure?" she asked and he nodded. There were three different choices: a stuffed bear, a slingshot or a butterfly necklace. Once she laid her eyes on the necklace her eyes lit up. It seemed to sparkle until it was the only thing she could see. "That one," she said, pointing to the necklace.

"Nice choice, little lady," the man said.

She couldn't wait to put it on, so Remy helped her with the task. She turned around to face him. "How does it look?" she asked.

"It looks nice on you," he said as she gave him a big smile. "Promise me you'll never take it off."

"Ah promise," she said as he took her hand. They walked down the street together. Anna Marie turned away and yawned. She couldn't remember the last time she had slept.

"You tired, petite," Remy asked her.

"Yeah, ah guess so," she said. "Where we gonna sleep?"

"We'll find a place, but first we need some money," he said with his finger on his chin. He looked as if he were formulating a plan that very second.

"How we gonna get it?" she asked.

"Like I said, I got ways," he said and led her down a back alley that led right into Bourbon Street. "You stay here... out of sight, okay."

She nodded in agreement, and Remy sneaked out of the shadows and scanned the area waiting for an opening. A few people passed by, so he sandwiched himself in between two people. There he saw it, a tall man passing by with his wallet hanging out partially from his pocket. This would be easy. He reached for it, but as soon as he touched it, he felt someone grab his arm. He was caught.

Remy felt himself being pulled into the alley. The man he had just tried to steal from looked straight into his eyes. "Anyone ever tell you, boy, never steal from a t'ief?"

"You gonna call de cops?" he asked the man in a shaky voice.

The man laughed at him. "What your name, boy?"

"Remy," he said still shaking. Anna Marie witnessed the whole thing from her hiding place behind the dumpster.

The man looked over seeing the little girl peeking out from the corners. "An' who dis?"

"Oh, dat's my sister, Anna Marie," Remy said.

"Where your parents?" he asked.

"Don' got none," Remy said. "Me an' Anna just got inta town tonight. Needed money for a place ta stay, so I..."

"T'ought you go t'ievin', huh?" the man said. He shook his head.

Anna Marie was afraid of what the man might do and ran up behind Remy. "Please don't hurt him. He didn't mean no harm, really."

He squatted down and saw the tears in the little girl's eyes.

"No harm done," he said. "You two come on home wid me. Give you a nice warm bed and plenty ta eat. What you say?"

They both nodded as the man led them out of the alley and to a car two blocks down. He opened the back seat for them, and Remy helped Anna Marie in first then got in himself. Within minutes, Anna Marie was asleep.

To Be Continued...