Chapter Seven: Zoroth's Decision

"I am sick, I must die;

Lord, have mercy on us!"

-Thomas Nashe, "Adieu"

***

Soundtrack of the chapter: Flight of the Silverbird by Two Steps From Hell

Media: Jasper Silverbird

***

Chapter Seven: Zoroth's Decision

"Just drink it, Cady," Zoroth said, watching Cady fling the contents of her medicine out of the window. "It won't hurt to try."

"No," Cady said. "I cannot risk it. What if the potion forces you out from the shadows? It is a potion for Oracles."

Cady's voice was weak and laced with pain. The fever had aggravated over the days and she refused to drink any of the potions Jo had fed her. Zoroth had to admit, Jo wasn't the brightest girl. She actually believed that Cady would take her medicine without supervision. Smart.

Zoroth raked a hand through his hair in frustration. Cady was so obstinate. If Zoroth attempted to force her, Cady's agonistic display of refusal was scary. He tried the other night, and the results were rather terrifying.

"For me Cady, drink it for me," he pleaded. "Please don't allow yourself to hurt anymore. Please."

Cady dropped the empty bowl on the table with a clatter.

"I told you, it's not worth the risk."

Zoroth felt his temper rise. Why was Cady so hard to reason to? Some part of him was laced with guilt. The guilt cut into him like a million blades, digging deeper as Cady's health deteriorated. The reason his Ascendant fell ill was because of him. She used all her energy into shaping his shadow to hers, to prevent their secret from spilling out. It was all his fault.

"Zoroth?" Cady's voice pierced through his self-fury. "Earth to Zoroth."

Zoroth lifted his head and took in the gaunt face of his Ascendant. She used to be so full of life, so cheerful. But ever since she entered the Hall of Spirits, she fell silent. She no longer teased him. She was even rejecting food...no one rejects food. It was as if the Hall of Spirits was an ominous chasm, sapping the energy out of his beloved Ascendant. His fist scrunched up his sides. He must find a way to ease Cady's pain. He must.

"Come here, Cady," he said. Cady crawled up the trunk in front of the window where Zoroth sat. Zoroth wrapped his arms around Cady and both sat in silence, observing the serene skies.

Cady's head was warm against Zoroth's chest. Zoroth closed his eyes and inhaled her sweet, grape scent. He wished he could hold her forever, locked in an eternal embrace. He thought of how he first met her in a small cave and he left his spirits lift.

That little Walker had eaten all his food, messed up his cave, and still had the nerve to argue with him. All his life, no one had ever dared defy him, for he was the son of Aragor, one of the majestic Great Decanates. With one swipe of his hand, he could send heads flying over walls. Everyone feared him...all but Cady.

Cady shifted in his arms until she was facing him. "What are you thinking about?"

"Just reminiscing the good ol' times." He grinned.

"What are you, an old man?" Cady poked him in the chest, hard.

Zoroth returned the favor by flicking her on the forehead. "If I'm old, then you're a doddering hag."