Chapter Twenty: Physician Silverbird

"How can they use such names and not be humble?

I have sat silent' angry at what they uttered.

The dead bequeathed them life; the dead have said

What these can only memorize and mumble."

- Siegfried Sassoon, "Grandeur of Ghosts"

*****

Soundtrack of the chapter: Born to be King by Phil Rey

Beautiful blend by Raj

****

Chapter Twenty: Physician Silverbird

Cady helped Jasper administer the potion to the fallen Oracles.

"Only one drop per person. Too less and too much is lethal."

She nodded. Cady inserted the dropper into one of the vials Jasper had handed her and proceeded to drip a drop of the potion into the mouth of the fallen Oracles. They worked in grim silence, moving silently from body to body.

"I don't think it is working." Cady pinched the nose of the Oracle before her, slumped in a most awkward position with his arms folded beneath him.

Jasper motioned at the woman before him with the dropper he held. "Patience. It takes time for the potion to settle in. Mandrake poison isn't honey."

When they were done with the Oracles in the hall, Jasper moved over to Raphine Sanguinis, who was still muttering gibberish under his breath. His closed eyes twitched frantically as if he was having a nightmare.

Jasper shook his head and propped the High Priest on his knee with care before he prised his mouth open with two fingers. Slowly and precisely, a drop of the sapphire blue liquid splashed into his mouth and vanished. He kicked away the debris scattered around them before he laid the man on the floor.

Just as the Raphine's head touched the floor, a low and guttural moan echoed from the door. Oracles began to sit up, most of them massaging their heads and looking around, dazed and disoriented.

A woman rose from the broken tables and crockery, her old hands trembling as they reached out to the walls for support. She was still recognizable even with her disheveled hair and ripped robes, something Cady had never seen her in.

Mistress Silver limped her way toward the trio, her eyes narrowed.

"Cadence Gates, well I never," she said, before it turned into a fit of wild coughing, tearing at her frail frame. "Did you destroy the Mandrake? Are you the one who saved us all?"

Cady shook her head and pointed at Jasper, who looked shocked.

"No, he did."

Jasper's hands twitched at his sides as Mistress Silver appraised him with her steely eyes. "Who is this young Starlet?"

He bowed his classical bow. "Jasper Silverbird, Oracle and physician of the Darkling Woods, at your service."

The Mistress' eyebrows knitted together so tight, they formed a perfect straight line in her forehead.

"I thought I knew all Healers and Physicians in the Starlet realms. I guess I must have missed a few," said the Mistress. "Was it you who broke the Mandrake's thrall?"