Chapter Five: A Close Call

"Only a fool will speak aloud his mind."

-John Berryman, "The Moon and the Night and the Men"

***

Soundtrack of the chapter: The Summoning by Two Steps From Hell

Media: Circinus

***

Chapter Five: A Close Call

Elijah Sanguinis was getting so frustrated, Cady could sense it radiating off him.

"All you have to do is to sit still! It isn't that hard!"

"But there is a bee hovering around," Jo protested. "It might sting me!"

"Nala damn that bee, just relax!"

Cady had never heard Eli curse. He always looked so composed during their lessons, even when they set a tree on fire the last time Elijah tried to teach them to communicate with tree spirits. But this time, Jo had pushed too far.

"I'm trying!" Jo said. "Can't you see?"

Eli threw up his hands in exasperation. "Nala help us all."

They were all sitting lotus-style on a railing-free stone platform built above the Hall lake. Elijah had quoted 'the water will make you feel peaceful', but the palisade of flowers had attracted quite a number of bees. Elijah seemed to be regretting his preference for the gazebo.

He raked a hand through his hair. "Cady, switch places with Jo. You aren't afraid of bees, I hope?" There was a pleading tone in his voice, hoping that Cady wouldn't cause trouble as well.

Cady shook her head and got up. Jo hurried over, thankful to be far away from the edge of the gazebo where the bees were the thickest.

"Back to meditation." Eli looked relieved. "Meditation is the most important part of being an Oracle. We are the only Starlets who can communicate directly with the Stars. And to do that, you need to enter a calm and meditative state. If you're alarmed or flustered, you'll never reach the meditative state."

Eli shot a smothering glare at Jo who immediately stared at her knees.

"Take a deep breath, everyone. Hold it for five seconds before releasing it slowly."

Cady closed her eyes and followed Eli's instructions. She wasn't sure whether she could enter the meditative trance, for she was no Oracle. But Cady could always pretend, hopefully with conviction.

"Repeat the process. Very good, Ellie, keep it up. Now, imagine yourself in a dark corridor."

Cady did accordingly. It was really easy to visualize, she had been practising for weeks with Firaun to control her Walker abilities.

"Allow your mind to wander, do not restrain it. Let it flow."

Eli's voice was hypnotic and soft, cascading like a gentle river. Cady sank into the darker recesses of her mind. The familiar shadows were welcoming. Her consciousness solidified and dropped into a wide corridor. Somehow, guided by instinct, her hand grabbed a nearby torch which blazed to life, blinding Cady for a moment.

When she recovered, she walked down the corridor in a steady pace, her footsteps echoing against the hard, stone floor.

"You will see three doors before you." Eli's placid voice came to her. "These doors represent your deepest consciousness-the past, the present, and the future."