Chapter Eighteen: Miracles

"Fro right to wrong, fro trouthe to fikelnesse,

That al is lost, for lak of stedfastnesse..."

- Geoffrey Chaucer, "Lak of Stedfastnesse"

*****

Soundtrack of the chapter: Spikeroog from The Witcher III

Media: Beautiful blend by Khan

*****

Chapter Eighteen: Miracles

Eli's head lolled in Cady's arms, his eyelids fluttering. She hugged him tight, as if she could shield him from his anguish.

She tried to remember what happened back then, before all hell broke loose. Thomas was about to toast to Raphine's health when the goblet dropped from his hands. He had contorted before her, twitching so madly that he seemed possessed. She had wanted to call for help, but then the door blew open and chaos descended.

Raphine's Sanguinis' speech about the Walkers had struck a chord of anger within her, igniting that spark of hate toward the leader of Oracles. But now was not the time for resentment. She must get Eli to the Healers as fast as possible.

Something cold touched her bare ankles. She had ripped off her heels when she was fleeing. Cady hissed and leapt up before the liquid from the twisted plant could come in more contact.

Cady inhaled, calming down her erratic heartbeat. Drawing from Zoroth's energy, she threw Eli's arm across her shoulders and started dragging him toward the Healing chambers.

Something silver emerged darkness. Cady blinked. The only source of light left was the sporadic flash of lightning coming from the skies. Darkness wasn't much of a trouble to Cady, she could see well in the black.

"Jo? Is that you?"

"Yeah, I noticed you weren't with the others and thought you might be in some trouble, so I got back."

Cady's knees buckled. Her hand shot out and grabbed the wall for support.

"Help me get him to the Healers, he needs help."

"Of course, Captain Obvious." Jo immediately went over to Eli's left side and supported him. Cady felt the relief was half of the burden was lifted off her shoulders.

"Did you see what happened to Thomas?" Jo panted as they went down the stairs with caution. Eli wasn't helping in the slightest, apart from sagging and mumbling nonsense. "I think he was possessed."

Cady nodded, dodging a group of Oracles running the opposite way. "Whatever it was, it isn't Thomas speaking. He would never betray the Hall of Spirits."

"And the Mandrake, who would place such a thing in the Hall?" Jo continued. "It is-" She broke off with an ear-throbbing scream and collapsed to the floor. Cady grunted as Eli slid from her shoulders, all of them ending up in a tangle of limbs.

"Stay away from me!"

Jo's screams were as feral as Raphine's. She scrabbled away from Cady, her eyes filled with terror. She stared at the window and froze. Jo raised a shaking finger and pointed at something invisible. Thunder crashed and Jo's shrieks were lost. She leapt to her feet and ran down the corridor with her hands held over her ears.

"Leave me alone! Don't touch me! Daddy, help!"

"Jo!" Cady shouted after her friend, but she had disappeared into a corner, blending in with the shadows.