Chapter Twenty-Five: An Invitation

"Haply Elijah o'er his spokes of fire,

Cresting steep Leo, or the heavenly Lyre,

Spied, tranced in azure of inanest space.

Some eyrie hostel, meet for human grace,

where two might happy be - just you and I -

lost in the uttermost of Eternity."

- Walter De La Mare, "The Tyrst"

*****

Soundtrack of the chapter: Two Hearts by Thomas Bergersen ( This one is for you, Cali shippers!)

Media: I stumbled upon this beautiful painting on pinterest and immediately thought Cady!

*****

Chapter Twenty-Five: An Invitation

"Take a step, slowly now." Mistress Carina had her arm held out for Eli. She may seem small and frail, but Eli knew better. That Healer had bones of steel and a head of stone, being the only one who survived the Mandrake attack a few weeks ago. She was considered lucky, being out to the woods collecting mushrooms. He grasped her arm with one hand, and the other on arm rest of his wheelchair.

Jasper sat across the table, looking at him. The half-empty bottle of his concoction stood at the corner, glistening red like its contents. Cady on the other hand, was beside Mistress Carina, eager to help but the old Healer insisted on doing everything.

The miracle drug brewed from Blood Flowers and a few other ingredients proved to be a wonder. A couple days after administration, the boils had burst, all pent out liquid had gushed out, expelling the poison locked inside for more than a decade. A most pungent liquid oozed out of the open wounds later, making Eli and Jasper retch. Cady had her nose covered with her hands the entire time, hence she was spared from the noxious smell.

Now, the skin had grafted over, leaving behind nothing but numerous scars which Jasper predicted would heal, but they would leave permanent marks.

But scars were nothing if he could be healed completely. He would rather live with a leg full of scars instead of a dying cripple.

Eli placed his bad foot before him. Using his good leg as a lever, he pushed himself up and fell right into Mistress Carina's arms.

"Easy there, we're in no rush," the Mistress said. "Now, try again."

After a week and more of not walking, Eli found the sensation rather bizarre. His legs responded sluggishly, as if they were half-asleep still. He tested his bad leg before putting all his weight onto it.

It didn't buckle. He released a breath of relief and happiness. Still holding on to Mistress Carina, he took another step, and another. The feeling of being able to walk again made Eli giddy with joy. Never would he have to be confined to a wheelchair or dependent on his staff. He could finally be like the other Oracles and not branded a freak.

Cady leaped forward and tackled him with a crushing hug.

"You did it, Eli! You did it!"

Eli blinked when Cady released him. He rubbed his throat, pretending to suffocate. She gave him a punch on the arm, which contained more force than necessary. If she used a bit more strength, he would have been sprawling on the ground.