Chapter Four: Struggles

"Dying into a dance,

An agony of trance,

An agony of a flame that cannot singe a sleeve."

~W. B. Yeats, "Byzantium"

***

Soundtrack of the chapter: Anakin's Theme by John Williams

Media: Banner by reen-zette

***

Chapter Four: Struggles

By time Elijah had finished showing them around, it was already noon. Cady was exhausted, from all the walking and reeling in Zoroth's shadow. When the sun was at its highest, it was the hardest, for shadows strengthen in increased light. The shadow pushed and struggled, trying its best to shred the petite girl it was encased in.

She excused herself from lunch, much to Jo's horror, for the Feorhs had served up a most appetizing kidney pudding.

"Cady, are you certain you're fine?" Thomas asked for the umpteenth time of the day. "Do you need to see a Stellium?"

"I just feel a bit giddy. If Elijah asks, tell him I went to lie down for a bit," Cady said truthfully. Her head was spinning, and Zoroth was feeling no better either. He had been groaning in Cady's head since morning, for being squeezed into the shape of Cady's former shadow was horrendously painful.

Before Thomas could say another word, Cady pushed past the Feorhs and went straight to her dorm.

Making sure that the door was locked, she released Zoroth.

The moment her Consort resumed his true form, Cady sagged in relief, crashing into a pile at the foot of her bed. Zoroth sprang over at once and caught her.

"This really isn't going to work. Just look at the toll concealing my shadow has taken on you," said Zoroth as he laid Cady carefully on the sheets.

Cady caught Zoroth's arm. "We will make this work, we have to."

Zoroth brushed her damp hair from her sweaty brow. "But, you're hurt."

"And so are you." Cady closed her eyes. Zoroth got onto bed and drew Cady into a hug, wrapping her up with his enormous wings. She ran an exploring finger over his soft wings. Even after several months, Cady still marveled at them; one the color of obsidian, and the other as white as snow.

"It hurts me more to see you suffer," Zoroth murmured into her hair. Cady didn't want to argue with him anymore, for Zoroth could be very stubborn at times. She was scared. The Hall of Spirits terrified her. Raphine Sanguinis was a daunting sight, his presence shaking Cady to her very core.

"If only the Hall of Shadows still exists, we wouldn't need to go through so many lies."

Zoroth laughed lightly. "We all wish that we can change the past, but the past shapes the future. If the Hall of Shadows still stands, we might not have met. My father often told me, everything happens for a reason, no matter how terrible it is."

"I can see where you get your philosophical mind from," Cady grumbled. "You're boring me with your high intelligence."

"You're just jealous," he said.

There was a sudden knock on the door. Cady shot up like a scalded cat while Zoroth melted into her shadow.

"Who's there?" she called out.