Chapter Twenty-Three: Distance Home

"He is in a new confusion of his understanding;

I in a new understanding of my confusion."

- Robert Graves, "Broken Images"

*****

Songof the chapter: Whispers in the Dark by Skillet ( just check out the lyrics, it fits Casper PERFECT! :'))

Media: The attacking Decanate

*****

Chapter Twenty-Three: Distance Home

Cady didn't run. Instead, she charged at the beast.

Zoroth flared up within her at once, filling her with his presence.

"I thought you are still mad at me," she whispered, happy that Zoroth had emerged.

"I won't let you die, little one," he said.

As Cady merged with her Consort, Jasper was already giving the Decanate a lot of trouble. All seventy eight leaves of the tarot wove and slashed through the air with such ferocity, even the monster took several steps back. Limbs fell and regenerated. Jasper threw up his hands, sending all cards shooting into the air before it rained down.

The Decanate decided not to remain static as a huge target. It lowered its massive head and charged at Jasper with its fluted horns.

Cady extended her wings to their full length and took off, Celestial Blade at the ready.

The sharp blade designed to slay Decanates cut out a sizzling chunk of flesh from its side. Silver blood spurted everywhere as it roared in pain, its former target long forgotten.

Jasper regained his balance. "Cady, I thought I told you to run! You can't handle this beast!"

She ignored him. This was her chance to test out her training, to see if she could put them to practical use.

Zoroth's energy hummed through her. It was wild and uncontained, the power of the higher Decanates. She felt like she could conquer anything. Nothing would stand in her way.

She scanned the vicinity at low level, doing mental calculations of the shadows she could use.

Too tiny, she decided. Tree shadows won't do.

Cady grabbed the entire sheet of shadows beneath the mountains and tugged. The shadows stretched and moaned, unwilling to break free. Furious at their obstinacy, she gave them a greater pull.

But the shadows of the mountains were far too great and heavy for her. Zoroth screeched in protest as Cady strained her powers to its breaking point.

"Cady, this is too much for you. You're not trained enough."

Beads of sweat ran down her face. "I can do this! You have to believe me!"

"But now is not the time to experiment!" he roared back. "Use the lesser shadows!"

"CADY!"

Jasper's scream snapped Cady back into reality. She gasped as the great Decanate reared up before her, acidic spittle flying everywhere from its mouth. Jasper sent an entire armada of his cards flying toward the Decanate, but it was too late.

Hot pain blossomed from Cady's stomach as the Decanate slashed her with its long, jagged claws. Her screams went wild in her ears, as did Zoroth's. Something gold flashed by her sight and severed the claws from the Decanate's hand. She fell onto the ground with a horrible thump.