Chapter Seventeen: Stranger Sights

"Hell knows a fear far worse."

- Samuel Taylor Coleridge, "Limbo"

*****

Soundtrack of the chapter: Emhyr Var Emreis from The Witcher III

Media: Mandrake root

*****

Chapter Seventeen: Stranger Sights

Eli shook his fist at the little bear Feorh before him, trying to reel in his temper. He had hardly slept last night due to banquet preparations for his grandfather's birthday and all his helpers seemed to have vanished into thin air.

"Where in Trael's beard is the reception Feorhs? They were supposed to be here like an hour ago!"

The messenger Feorh cowered. "I don't know, Your Honor. They took a break down the gardens."

"Well, find them! The banquet starts in an hour! Find them or I will skin you alive!"

"Yes, Your Honor!" it squeaked and immediately bounded down the stairs at top speed, leaving behind a fleeting stream of sparkles.

Eli sighed and rested his head on his staff. He wasn't going to skin the Feorh, such actions were inhumane. But threats were the only way to get them working hard and fast.

He unfolded the plans for the occasion and scanned it. Most of the boxes were ticked. Gifts were already delivered and the food cooked. Decorations were put up a couple days ago. Now he was just lacking the guests and reception Feorhs.

Today was an important day for Raphine Sanguinis, for this marks his sixtieth birthday, and it was the day when the Hall of Shadows was decimated. Another sigh left his lips. His grandfather was insistent on toasting to the victory of the Oracles, much to his disapproval. War should be learned from and not glorified. However, all his words were cast to the air as Raphine wouldn't listen otherwise.

With careful steps, he climbed up the steps that led to the banquet Hall. The doors were shut, but with a firm tug, he opened them and peeked inside. The tables were already laid, ready for the hundreds of visitors. The throne and table for the Sanguinis family glittered under the auburn rays of the dying sun.

He wondered how it would look like from the eyes of the common Oracles, to gaze up at the raised table and at the crown on Raphine's head. Eli often visualized his parents sitting next to him at the right end of the table, joking with his uncle and cousins. The ghosts of the past pattered beside him, seeming to weave in between the empty chairs, their laugher echoing through the vast expanse.

The door shut without a sound, cutting off the soft laughter and fragments of dreams that would never come true.

"I should get ready for the party," he said out loud to himself. "I need some fun."

"You should." A familiar voice floated from the bottom of the stairs. "It's almost party time."

He spun around and spotted Cady.

"C-Cady," he spluttered. "Hi."

It was a weak greeting, but he lost control of his reflexes when Cady started walking toward him.

A beautiful white gown hugged her petite body, simple yet elegant, one of ancient Oracle fashion. Her fiery hair was up in a loose bun with a few loose curls framing her heart-shaped face. She must have applied some eyeliner, for those green eyes were startlingly bright and sharp, drilling into him as she approached.