Chapter Fifteen: Trapped

If you'd like to know why I have been gone for so long, please read the author's note at the end. If not, read on and go on about your day xD.

Evangeline Salvatore

His lips were the only thing I could truly feel. The way he used them so tenderly against mine, treating me as if I were the most fragile thing he'd ever came across. What was amazing was the rejuvenation I felt swarming through my body with each second that our lips touched. Instead of sparks, I felt life. His kiss made me feel better than I ever had in over a century and it gave me strength.

Before I knew it, I was alive and able to reach up and run my fingers through the golden blonde hair at the nape of his neck as I returned the kiss. I felt his breath hitch at my response but he didn't pull away yet but instead he kissed me harder, like his eternal life depended on it. I kissed him back just as hard until I couldn't any longer, my human side was dying for oxygen.

At first, neither of us spoke, we were at a loss for words it seemed. Then it all came back to me.

"I don't care if you hate me and you don't care either, I want you here and yelling at me or trying to best me knowing you'll get bested yourself because you believe in yourself and you're strong Dear Angel. I need your strength, love"

From the encounter with his father to the words he spoke to me before he kissed me, I remembered it all.

"Nik, you're not alone" I murmured, sitting up and looking him directly in his bright blue eyes as they darkened.

He turned away from my gaze finding intrigue in the grass, "Dear Angel I've been alone for one thousand years"

"And then you met me" I urged, taking his face in my hands and forcing him to look towards me, "You have me, Nik, and Rebekah and-"

"Rebekah betrayed me" he growled pulling his face from my hands and standing up, forcing me up as well.

I sighed, "Nik, she knows you lied about who killed your mother"

The blonde hybrid man froze up for a second then relaxed his muscles and began walking away without a word. As he retreated back to where he came, I gathered my dress and began to follow him only to pause when I saw the highway beside the field that I hadn't seen before. Before, all I had seen was continuous grassland but then Nik showed up and I could see reality again. The petroleum scent from the gas station down the road filled my nostrils and the hum of engines tunneled to my eardrums. Maybe now that I was alive, I could see the reality of it all.

"Why are you so angry Nik?" I asked catching up to him just as he got to his car and the dress I was wearing became the flowy, red flannel with three-quarter sleeves and black jeans I had been wearing when I died. There was dried blood and rips all over the fabric, my curls became matted and crusted with blood, and Nik almost looked frightened when he saw me.

"What the hell is going on?" he murmured, studying me closely through baby blue glass and ignoring my previous question. He had a habit of dismissing things he didn't want to answer or think about.

"Anastasia must've created an illusion on the two of us" I inquired before the two of us climbed into the vehicle and were speeding off towards god knows where.

*~*~*

As I sat in Nik's car it felt like there were a thousand things going through my head. What were my brothers doing now that they failed to kill Nik? Where was Rebekah? What happens next for Nik and I? How would everyone react now that I was alive? What happens next with everything?