Chapter Twenty-Eight: Forthcoming Fate

Elena Gilbert

She was right. Evangeline Salvatore had been right about what would happen if an Original was killed. Elena hated admitting that to herself as she watched the Salvatore brothers remove the bodies of Rose and Troy from the Boardinghouse after the two had planned on attacking Stefan, only die right on spot.

Elena hated that Evangeline had told the truth because that meant that she told the truth about her being in love and the truth that she was meant to better Klaus instead of making him worst. Elena just couldn't understand why. Why, after all of the hell that the man put them through did Klaus get to have someone who loved him so intensely and unconditionally like Evangeline? Why did he deserve to be with his soul mate? Why couldn't she have something like that?

As she sat beside Damon on their way to Denver to meet Jeremy, all she could think about was his sister. Klaus continuously had the upper hand over her. From using her to become a hybrid to having a mate that meant so much to the men she loved that she couldn't possibly ever get rid of her.

Elena witnessed the destruction firsthand that came with the Salvatore brothers witnessing their sister with their worst enemy. They were so hurt and distraught that they pretended to hate her but Elena knew that they loved her more than anything.

They also deserved to know the truth. By then, they were too far from home to turn around and be rash so Elena decided to let it slip.

"Klaus is her mate"

Elena confessed so abruptly that she utterly confused Damon who lost his concentration on the road but managed to keep the car straight.

"What are you talking about?" Damon questioned, thinking that Elena had awoken from a dream and just blurted the first thing that came to mind.

The brunette doppelganger sighed, "Evangeline is Klaus's mate"

Damon went completely silent after that just staring straight at the road. Elena's heartbeat sped up with each moment of silence. He wasn't reacting and she had no idea what that meant. Was he mad? Sad? Had he already known?

Finally, as she was about to tell him to say something, Damon muttered loud enough for her to hear, "That doesn't make sense, she's not even a werewolf and mates rarely exist among them"

Bracing herself, Elena continued, "That's the thing, they're rare and literally meant to be together. Esther told me that she made them mates because they're both original hybrids of a specie, bastard children, and so on. She was going to kill Evangeline too...I'm sorry I know I should have told you but—"

Elena couldn't continue because the car jerked to a stop on the side of the road and Damon clenched the steering wheel with a grip that threatened to break it. He didn't know what to think or what to feel about the news. He felt sick, disgusted with the thought of his sister being attached to slime like a Mikaelson for the rest of eternity and disgusted with himself for never allowing his little sister to explain. He looked her in the eyes as she cried and publicly disowned her then watched her run away.

And to make it worst Klaus went after her. Klaus was there for her. Klaus had her.

"She's in love with him Damon..." Elena murmured, looking at him softly as his gripped "And she's—"Once again Elena was cut off but more aggressively by Damon.

"Stop! Just shut the hell up I don't want to hear this!" If Damon was as emotional as he once was, he probably would have had tears in his eyes he was so frustrated.