Chapter 2

Gwen was sitting down, looking at Durza as he wrote vigorously on some parchment. When he had finished, he glanced at Gwen for a moment, smiled evilly, then left, taking the parchment with him. Eragon is doomed, and so am I. She sighed. With nothing better to do, she rested her head against the glass and stared off into space.

"Look, I am not crazy! She is real!" Eragon protested against Murtagh. They were in the middle of their escape, the unconscious elf already strung across Murtagh's back. "I will find her and save her."

"At what cost Eragon? Are you really going to risk our escape for some fantastically small woman, one who I do not think can possibly exist. I am telling you that she is a figment of your imagination, you were drugged heavily. Now, let's go!" Murtagh was fed up with Eragon and wanted to leave immediately. He worked hard to form this plan with Eragon's dragon, Saphira, and he wasn't going to have anyone compromise it.

"Then you go on ahead. I will find another escape." Eragon started to walk away. Murtagh cursed and began following him.

"If she is real, how do you expect to find her in this place? It will be like finding a needle in a haystack!"

"I have an idea." Eragon stayed close to the walls and crept slowly down the corridor. They rounded a corner and came face to face with a guard. Before he could sound an alarm, Eragon covered his mouth, grabbed the soldier's dagger, and placed it at the man's throat. Eragon then whispered "Where is the Shade keeping the small woman? She was in a jar and I will not rest until I find her. I am going to release my hands from your mouth, and if you dare scream, I will use a harsher method to extract the information I seek. Is that clear? By my honor as a Rider, I will not kill you." The soldier nodded, scared of what the Rider might do to him. Eragon released his hand.

"She is being held in Durza's study. It's in the east wing of the castle. Just follow this corridor, take a right and you will find some stairs. Take them all the way to the top and take another right. You follow that hall until you find a door with the King's insignia. That is where you will find her."

Eragon memorized the soldier's words. "Thank you." Eragon uttered something in the Ancient Language that rendered the man unconscious. They dragged him to a room and closed the door. "Now, let's go get her." Eragon turned to leave, but suddenly halted when Murtagh grabbed his arm.

"Eragon, this is suicide. How do you know that he was telling the truth? He told you to head for Durza's private study! Don't do this, Eragon. I fear for your life."

"And what of her life? Is she not human as well; does she not deserve to live just because she was cast under a terrible spell? Murtagh, I understand the danger, but something is propelling me forward. I cannot ignore this feeling."

"What of me? Hmm. I am carrying an unconscious elf on my back. How do you think I can fare sneaking around after you with her?" He scowled.

"Listen, just follow your plan the way you designed it. Once Saphira rescues you and the elf from the common room, have her fly to study, there is bound to be a window I can escape through. We can do this. Now, go. Time is running out before we are discovered missing."

Murtagh reluctantly left Eragon. Eragon was about to turn and run in the direction that the soldier had directed him, but he suddenly had an idea that would allow him to evade the soldiers better. He ran to the room where the unconscious soldier lay and stripped him of his armor. Eragon threw off his soiled clothing and put on the armor. When he was dressed, he walked freely down the corridor, strutting arrogantly like he had seen the soldiers do. Along his journey, he passed a few guards, all of which ignored him as they were busy with their own duties. He turned down the last corridor that led to the study. Two guards stood outside the door. At his approach, they took arms, one asking what he was doing here.

"I have come to meet with Durza. He specifically told me to visit him in his study."

"Did he now? We had no word of this request. What say you to that?"

"Gentlemen, this was a last minute request. Now let me in or do you want to explain to Durza why I was left standing like a fool outside his study?"

The guards looked at each other with confused expressions, but let him pass. "Fine, but don't touch anything. Durza will be here soon. He went off…"

"He went to take care of that impotent Dragon Rider, I know." The guards shook their heads and let Eragon into the room. When the door closed, he quickly observed his surroundings. At the far side of the room there was a lone window. Perfect! After he found his escape route, he looked around to find the jar with the minuscule woman held captive. He did this as quietly as possible, if the guards should look in and find him snooping around, he was done for. When he did not find her within the first few minutes, he began to lose his patience. Becoming desperate, he began to look in odd places like inside a vase.

Heavy footsteps sounded outside the door. Eragon panicked, but did his best to get himself together. Come on, you made it this far. Don't let some evil, strong, tall, Shade ruin everything… Eragon brushed up against a tapestry and noticed a hidden cupboard. He opened it and found the glass jar, the woman sleeping soundly.

The door to the study burst open, an enraged Shade entering. At the noise, Gwen awoke and looked around. "What's going on?" She looked up and saw that it was the Rider who held the jar. Her confusion silenced her.

"How dare you enter my private chambers?" Durza growled, his pointed teeth revealed from under his curled lip.

Eragon stood his ground; by some hidden force, he was given the courage to face the powerful Shade. "How dare you treat human beings like vermin?" Eragon spat.

"You insolent, pathetic, little boy! I will have to teach you a lesson." Durza raised his hand and shouted an incantation. Eragon dodged out of the way. Gwen Screamed and she was tossed against the glass. Durza laughed, amused. "I cannot believe you came all this way to try to rescue that wretched creature." He pointed at the woman. He then stared down at Eragon. "As for you, do you really think that you would escape this place, alive?" Durza raised his hand again.

Eragon avoided the blow, and stood up. "Do you really think that you could underestimate a Rider?" Durza looked at the boy and cocked his head. "Ah, it seems you have forgotten one thing, the Dragons!" At that very moment, Saphira whipped her tail breaking the window into a million pieces. Eragon jumped out, Saphira catching him in midair. He landed with a thud behind Murtagh. From the window, Durza observed them. He was about to cast another spell when an arrow hit the shade between the eyes.

Murtagh notched another arrow, just in case, but the Shade vanished in a heap of smoke. When they were sure that the Shade was gone, Murtagh turned his attention to the guards on the roof. He killed a few before they were out of range. Saphira was hit with a few arrows, but that did not stop her from slowing her pace. She flew until she could not fly no more, and that was miles away from Gil'ead.