Chapter 16--The Final Chapter

Eragon groaned, waking up alone in his room. He was unsure how he had got there, his memories a complete blur. After several minutes, he began to remember what had happened to him before he had passed out. He sat up, suddenly alert. For reasons unknown, he felt different. Cautiously, he stood up and walked over to a water basin near his bed. He splashed his face with the cold water, his finger tracing the shape of his face. As he did this, he noted how different his face felt.

Alarmed, he looked into the mirror before him to his that his face was indeed altered a little. His ears were pointed and his face more angular like that of an elf, his eyes even slanted. His new look stunned him. Forcing himself away from the mirror, Eragon sat upon his bed.

How fares you, Eragon? He received an image of Saphira standing next to Islandadí at the ceremony.

What happened to me?

It is a gift from the dragons. Stretch your back and you will notice that you will no longer have any pain.

For the second time, Eragon was stunned. You mean I am healed?

Correct.

Eragon stood up and performed a series of poses from the Rimgar with ease. This is fantastic!  He whooped in pure delight as he took off his shirt to stare at his flawless back. Now, we can challenge the King and his minions!

Indeed, Little One, indeed. Saphira hummed.

How long was I out? He hoped that he did not miss much of the ceremony. As Saphira responded, stating that he was on unconscious for an hour, he got dressed. Running out of the tree-house, Eragon was anxious to flaunt his new look. He missed his former appearance, but the fact that his back was healed allowed him to accept the new changes.

His senses were heightened as well, he noted, as he ran through the woods. Does Gwen know of my transformation in detail?

No, she does not. Saphira said.

Good, this can be a surprise then.

I will not give away exact details, Eragon, but there is another surprise for you once you arrive at the Menoa Tree.

Really? Eragon’s curiosity made him push himself even faster. Finally, Eragon stopped at the tree, panting. When he caught his breath, he stood up straight and saw the elves gaping at him.

“Eragon, is that really you?” Arya asked, her tone soft.

“Aye, it is me.” Eragon beamed. “Tell me, where is Gwen?” He looked around frantically, but to no avail. Focusing his attention on Saphira, Eragon asked, “What’s going on? Where is she?”

“I am right here.” Gwen’s voice cut through the air as the elves parted to make a walkway. At the far end of the path, Gwen stood at her true height, that is, five feet and two inches tall.

Eragon felt dizzy as total confusion enveloped him. Next to him he heard Arya say, “After the dragon touched your palm, he turned to Gwen and blessed her as well. You see, the dragon’s intent was to heal you—all of you. Your love for one another has formed a special bond between you, a bond that was strong enough to have Gwen linked to you, Eragon. In order for the dragon to completely heal you, he not only had to mend your back, he also had to reverse the spell placed on Gwen.”

With tears of joy, the two lovers raced towards one another. Upon impact, Eragon lifted Gwen into the air and twirled her around before setting her back on the ground, lightly. Gingerly, Eragon played with Gwen’s hair for a few seconds, still trying to process that she was not longer tiny. Shifting his gaze to meet her eyes, he began to lean in.

Their love surrounded them like a blanket as their lips touched, their hearts beating in time. The kiss was full of passion and ignoring everyone around them, they remained locked in their love-trance, even after they parted from their long-awaited kiss. Gwen began to giggle as she embraced Eragon for the first time, his strong arms wrapped around her slender body.

“I never thought this day would come.” She whispered into his chest.

“Neither did I.” Eragon said as lifted her chin and kissed her again.

“Now I will have to adjust to being tall again.”

Eragon laughed, heartily. “This is true, but what a fine adjustment it is.”

Gwen smiled up at him. “Shall we find a more private location to hang out?”

Suddenly conscious of the elves around him, Eragon nodded and led Gwen away from the Menoa Tree and into a small, but gorgeous, patch of the woods covered with wildflowers. The stars shone brilliantly above them, adding to the romantic setting.

Eragon placed himself on the ground, patting the grass next to him. Without hesitation, Gwen was lying next to him, wrapped in his warm embrace. They gazed up at the sky, not saying a word, but simply enjoyed the presence of one another. They remained silent until a shooting star shot across the sky.

“Did you make your wish?” Gwen asked, shifting her position so that she was above Eragon, looking down into his eyes.

“I did, but if I tell you, it will not come true and I want my wish to come true as soon as possible.”

Gwen thought for a moment, and then asked, “You want to marry me, don’t you?”

Eragon sighed, “At least I know who to blame if my wish does not come true.”

“So that was your wish!”

“Yes, that was my wish, but now you spoiled it.”

“Oh, don’t you fret about it. I still have my wish.” Gwen kissed him, softly.

“That is a good thing.”

They laughed. They remained in the small clearing for hours, Gwen falling asleep on Eragon’s chest. Arya found them locked in their sweet embrace in the morning, a smile upon her lips. Orik was with her and could not believe how much has happened within the past few hours.

“I wonder what her father will be thinking once he learns that his spell has been reversed.”

Arya shrugged. “Who knows? All I know is that their love will go down in history.”