Chapter 6

The company halted at the edge of the water a good fifteen feet from the waterfall. They had been running from a large band of Kull for the past few days as they searched for the Varden. Murtagh scowled at the sight. "We're trapped! What are we going to do?" He rammed his finger into Eragon's chest. "This is all your fault!"

Eragon brushed Murtagh's hand away. "We will be fine. We have to swim to get to the entrance of the Varden."

"Swim where? I do not see any entrance."

"Under the waterfall. Arya's vision was clear on that." Saphira flew above them and could easily see the Kull closing in. "Come on, we have to hurry." He raised his hand to his shoulder allowing Gwen to walk onto his palm. "The current in the water will be too strong for you. The only way I can think of to get you through is if I put you in the jar." Gwen nodded and allowed him to place her in the jar that had been her prison for many months. Eragon then jumped into the cold, clear water with the jar in his hand.

Murtagh sighed and jumped in after Eragon. They swam vigorously to force themselves past the waterfall. Once through, the water became still and easy to swim through. Heading toward the surface, they noticed that they were in a cave of some sort. Eragon gulped for air when his head reached above the water. Within a few seconds, Murtagh popped his head up as well. Eragon tipped the jar upside down to let the water in the jar leak out from the holes.

On the ground in front of them stood five men with spears pointed at them. Behind them they heard another man ask what they were doing here. "We came to seek refuge from the Varden."

As Eragon spoke, the man revealed himself. He was a tall man with dark skin. He had long black hair and brown eyes and held an air of importance. Around him, other men began to pile in. "I am Ajihad, the leader of the Varden. What are your names?" He allowed Eragon and Murtagh to exit the water, but the men still had their spears pointed at them.

"I am Eragon, the Dragon Rider. My companions are Murtagh and the Princess Gwenivere." He held up the jar that held the miniscule woman. "My Dragon, Saphira is still outside. She is carrying the elf named Arya who was poisoned by a Shade."

Ajihad looked over Eragon and his companions. He was confused about Gwen, but did not question them at that moment. "If you are the Rider, then call your beast inside."

A short man next to Ajihad said. "If it attacks, you will die first." Eragon called Saphira inside. The dragon soared through the waterfall soaking some of Ajihad's men. With awe, they stared up at the magnificent creature. Like Eragon had said, Arya was strapped to Saphira's back. With a snap of his fingers, Ajihad had his men stand down and attend to the elf.

"Our healers will make her well. I thank you for bringing her to us." Once Arya had been taken away, Ajihad began to question him about the princess. "We were all told she was dead, so how did she get like this?"

"Her father could not kill her because of a spell her mother placed on her when she was a child. Instead, he shrank her and placed her in this glass jar where he kept her prisoner. I first saw her at Gil'ead where I too was held captive. I rescued her along with the elf Arya and we journeyed here." The leader seemed satisfied with that answer and relaxed a little. Everything seemed to go well until he began looking over Murtagh once more. After about a minute, Ajihad snapped his fingers once more saying, "Seize him!"

Gwen gasped at the same time Eragon screamed, "No! He saved my life."

"He is the son of Morzan, the traitor."

"What?" he looked at Murtagh. "Is it true?"

"A son doesn't choose his father." He broke free from the guard's grip and lifted up his shirt and turned around. Starting from his shoulder and stretching to the other side of his back was a scar. "This is the only thing he gave me. I hated that man until the day he died."

"Lock him up!" the leader ordered.

"Then you had better lock me up as well!" Gwen's sudden voice cut through the air.

Eragon glanced down at the small woman who was still in the jar. He unscrewed the top and let her jump onto his hand. One of the leader's men took the jar from him. Ajihad sighed at her request. "Gwen, you have proven your loyalty to the Varden, he has not. As far as we know, he is a traitor like his father."

"He is nothing like his father. Please, allow him the chance to prove himself."

Ajihad thought for a moment then said, "Fine." He motioned for two bald men, who looked identical, to step forward. "No one can enter the Varden without first being tested. The Twins are here to probe your minds. Should any of you fail or refuse to be probed, you will be locked up." He looked at Murtagh as he spoke. "Do you submit?"

Murtagh shook his head. "No one will be allowed to enter my mind."

"Murtagh, please. If you do this you will not have to be locked in a cell." Eragon could not help but feel a pang of jealousy as she pleaded with Murtagh. It occurred to him that she must have known him from her past and had become good friends. He saw the way they looked at one another and could not help but to feel jealous. Saphira sensed his emotions and calmed him down saying that he was overreacting.

Murtagh stood firm with his decision. "No. I do not want anyone inside my mind, especially them!" he venomously looked at the Twins. Without further adieu, Ajihad had Murtagh taken away.

"I'm sorry Gwen, but he made his decision." He then began to focus on Eragon. "Now, I will need you to hand me Gwen so that the Twins can probe your mind." Grudgingly, he placed Gwen on Ajihad's palm and released the barriers around his mind.

One of the Twins placed a chilled hand at the nape of his neck while the other stared deep into his eyes. Eragon winced at their sudden contact and immediately wanted to put up barriers. With Saphira's help, he had managed to hide some memories from the two as they delved deeper into his head. For several minutes they wormed around until Ajihad told them to stop. "You have done enough. Now, can he be trusted?"

"Aye. We have found nothing that suggests that he works for the King."

"Very well." He handed Gwen back to Eragon and said, "Follow me. I will take you to your quarters." Eragon glanced at Saphira and began to follow the leader deep into the caves. It was dark except for the light provided by the torches that hung on the walls. They winded around so many corners that Eragon lost all sense of direction feeling completely lost. It seemed like hours before the caves opened up to reveal a vast hollowed out space. "This is the Dwarf city of Tronjheim." Eragon looked up and noticed that the whole area was a volcano. Very little sunlight emancipated through the opening miles above their heads. Also above them hung a giant red sapphire in the shape of a rose. The beauty of it stunned Eragon as he wondered how the dwarves had managed to carve it.

The people who populated the city stared at the newcomers. There were a variety of dwarves and humans among the crowd. When Saphira came into view, the people gasped. Some of the dwarves put on a foul disposition which confused Eragon. Many of the humans were grateful to see the new Rider as an applause began to erupt from the crowd. Feeling very uncomfortable, Eragon was unsure what to do. Wave at them. Saphira said. Taking her advice, Eragon raised his free hand and waved. The crowd became louder as some people began to shout for joy at his presence.

"Well look at you, Mr. Popular." Gwen laughed as the crowd roared. "You had better get used to it."

Eragon looked at Gwen. "I know, but it still feels very weird." Ajihad led them away from the crowd and gave him instructions on how to get to the dragon hold that was above the sapphire rose.

"I can take Gwen and you can go relax in your room." Reluctantly, he departed with Gwen and hopped on Saphira heading towards his room.