Chapter 11

Eragon awoke the next morning feeling a little groggy. The celebration the night before took a toll on him as he drank too much wine and stayed up too late. He was thankful for the accommodations the elves provided him with that allowed him to sleep comfortably. He was staying in a tall, vast, tree house with several rooms. Outside his bedroom was Saphira's. It was large and sturdy to support a mighty dragon such as Saphira with plenty of room left over for her to move freely around. The craftsmanship was by far the best he had ever seen.

Eragon staggered out of his bed heading to the wash-bin. The cold water felt good against his skin waking him up even further. As he looked around his room, he noticed that there were some clothes laid out for him as well as some food. With nothing else to do, he stripped himself of his soiled clothes and put on the fine elf garment he was given. It was a rich dark green tunic with gold buttons. His leggings were brown as were his boots. The clothes were a little big, but otherwise, he looked good.

Satisfied, he took a bite from an apple. He barely took another bite when he heard a knock at the door. "Come in." he said, finishing his second bite. He nearly choked when he saw Arya walk in wearing a gorgeous light green dress. Eragon had never seen her in anything but a tunic and leggings, so her new look took him off guard. "Arya, you look lovely."

Arya smiled at his compliment. "You look very nice yourself. Whenever you are ready, I will lead you to my mother. Today, you are going to meet your teacher."

Eragon became giddy at the news and nearly scarfed down the rest of his breakfast. Saphira returned after her morning hunt and soon the three of them were off to meet with the Queen once more. She was dressed in red, white feathers decorating the brims of her outfit. On her shoulder stood Blagden, her raven. Next to her stood Orik who was holding Gwen, the tiny woman also eloquently, but in blue. She was stunning.

"Good morning, I trust you slept well?" The Queen asked.

"Well enough thank you." He responded. Queen Islandazi nodded, standing up.

"Come, it is time you met your master." Eragon nodded and followed the woman out of the throne room. For nearly an hour they walked along the trees as they exited the city for the great unknown. Eragon was a little perturbed; he though his teacher had lived in the city, not outside it. Saying nothing, he continued to follow until they halted by a steep cliff.

The canyon was wide and deep, jagged rocks protruding from the side walls. Eragon looked down and saw that he could not see the bottom. He was about to ask why they came all the way to a canyon when he heard a familiar sound. The beating became louder and louder until no other sound could be heard. Soaring out from the horizon, a golden dragon far bigger than Saphira, came into view. The dragon was missing his left foreleg, but that did not distract the onlookers from absorbing his might and beauty. Upon his back, an old elf with long silver hair sat with his chin up.

It was incredible. Eragon and Saphira were nearly in tears as they beheld the duo in the sky. They knew that they were not the only ones aside from the Kind and his steed. The golden dragon landed near the company, the rider sliding off his enormous back. "Eragon, this is Glaedr and his Rider, Oromis, also known as The Cripple Who Is Whole." Queen Islanzadi announced, her voice booming off the rocks.

Oromis carefully walked up to Eragon and Saphira. His eyes were gray and focused. Eragon bowed low before the ancient rider, showing his utmost respect. "Please, stand up tall so that I may get a good look at you." Without a word, Eragon obeyed. Oromis circled around the human almost like a vulture. When he had finished his inspection he said, "You are not what I had expected, but you are able and seem eager to learn. Come come. We must not waste time for it is much too precious." Eragon nodded and hopped on Saphira, flying after the other rider.

Orik grumbled, loudly. "Why were no one of the Varden made aware that there was another Rider?" The dwarf was about to cross his arms, but remembered that Gwen was sitting on his palm. His face was red and his other hand itching to grab his ax and slam it against anything to vent his rising anger.

"Calm yourself, Master Dwarf. There is a reason why his existence had to remain a secret. If Oromis and Glaedr did not survive the great war from many years ago, then who would be left to train the new Rider?"

"Humph." Was all Orik could make out and he turned to follow the elves away from the canyon.

Eragon felt a new sense of vigor rush through his veins. We are not alone.

No, we are not, Little One. Saphira hummed as she flew, her giddiness intertwining with her Rider's. They were undeniably happy-a happiness that they have not felt in the longest time. They had renewed hope in themselves and for the fate of Alagaesia.

If only we had known about them sooner.

If we did, things would have turned out much different indeed, but, there is a reason why his had to remain in secret. Be patient, and all will be revealed to us in due time.

Eragon could not deny how true those words were. He wished that Brom could have been there. At the thought of his old master, his heart sank. I really miss him.

As do I, Little One, but we should not dwell on the past.

Eragon took in a deep breath, the chilly air stinging his lungs. Oromis had them land in a large grassy clearing. The location had a house on one side, but the rest of the land lay flat and open. "This is really nice. Do you live here?" Eragon asked.

"Aye, I do. Now, enough of this idle chat. Come inside and have something to eat. Then, we will begin." The house looked a bit small on the outside, but as he passed through the door, he saw that it was spacious. There were numerous bookshelves crammed with scrolls and loose papers reminding him of Joed's study back in Teirm. There was a desk that was cleaned off, save for one scroll half open, a kitchen, a bedroom, and another room full of shelves stuffed full. The elf made his way into the kitchen to grab two teacups, a tray of crackers, and two spoons. He placed them on the table to begin making the tea.

The teapot screamed after several minutes, Oromis steadily getting up from his chair to silence her. The tea was hot, but soothing as it slid down Eragon's throat with a hint of mint. Since the man had invited Eragon into his home, he had not said a word. Eragon went along with the charade until a full hour passed without one spoken word. "I thought we were going to start training?"

Oromis put up a bony finger, hushing the young man. The awkward silence lingered on for another forty minutes. With little patience left, Eragon stood up from his chair. "This is ludicrous! You said hours ago that time was precious, and here we are wasting away the time in your kitchen!"

"Young Rider, do sit down and calm yourself. It does not become you when you have an outburst like that. Yes, sit. Sit and allow yourself to succumb to your surroundings. Listen to what the Earth and her creatures are telling you. Only then can you find real knowledge."

Oromis stepped out of the kitchen leaving Eragon to ponder his words.