Chapter 3

They camped in a small clearing. The night was cool and the sky was clear allowing the moon and stars to shine brightly. “We must be extra cautious tonight, with the moon that bright; the soldier’s will be able to see a little better.” Murtagh stated. He was weary like the rest of his companions and sat upon the dirt trying to relax a little after he made a place for the elf to rest. She was still unconscious, unsettling them, but they shrugged it off for the time being. They made no fire unwilling to risk the soldier’s from seeing the smoke. 

Saphira nestled near a tree while Eragon sat down with the jar. Gwen remained quite the entire time she was rescued. Eragon unscrewed the top and gently set down the jar on its side allowing the woman to climb out. When she was free from her glass prison, she stood frozen waiting for what might happen next. “There, you are free now.” Eragon said, trying to cheer her up.

“I am only free from the glass jar, but I am still imprisoned within this tiny body.” Her voice was weak and she carried a shy demeanor.

“I am sorry about your fate. No one should have to endure so much. But, let us stray away from that dreary topic. What is your name?” He hoped that she would trust him enough with basic information.

“I am Gwen. I know who you are, Eragon. I have heard all about you from…” she trailed off, uncertain of how much to reveal, especially with Murtagh right there watching her every move.

Eragon did not notice Murtagh’s reaction when she said her name; he was much too focused on the woman. “It is a pleasure to meet you, Gwen. I am glad that you are already aware of my existence.” He pointed at Saphira and continued, “This is Saphira, my dragon. She says that it is pleasure to meet you as well.”

Gwen looked at the sapphire dragon. “She is magnificent! You should be honored to ride her.”

“Trust me, I am.” Eragon smiled. “And this,” he pointed at Murtagh, “is…”

“I am Murtagh.” He said, interrupting Eragon. “Now, enough of this idle chit chat, she must be starving.” He got up and grabbed his saddle bag taking out bread and cheese. He tossed some to Eragon, who broke some of the food in tiny pieces and gave them to Gwen.

“Thank you.” She sat cross-legged on the ground and began to eat her meager meal. She tried to avoid eye contact with Murtagh, but every once in a while, they would look at each other, making her feel uneasy.

Eragon did his best not to stare at Gwen while he ate, but he was so fascinated with her that he found it impossible to stop. Saphira snorted, and laid her head down, closing her eyes. When Gwen finished her portion, she yawned. “It’s been a long day for all of us, sleep would do us some good, but I will take first watch, is that all right with you, Murtagh?”

Murtagh nodded, “Yeah, I don’t mind. Besides, I am probably more tired than you are.”

“This is true. I doubt you slept much while I was at Gil’ead.”

“I didn’t. If it wasn’t my conscience keeping me awake, it was Saphira.”

Eragon laughed.  “Well sleep for now. We trade shifts a few hours before sunrise.”

Murtagh unrolled his bedding and fell asleep quickly. Eragon turned his attention to Gwen, “I don’t have much for you to sleep on, except this.” He pulled out a shirt from his bag. “I am sure this will work for now. It will keep you warm and off the dirt.” He folded the shirt a few times and placed it on the ground. Gwen uttered her thanks and crawled onto the makeshift bed. Eragon folded the sleeves over her for a blanket. “There, that should do it.” He smiled. “Now, try and get some sleep.”