Chapter 13

Gwen became giddy. "A Surprise, for me? Really?"

Eragon was in a good mood since he had the day off from training with Oromis, so with Saphira's help he set up a nice surprise for Gwen. It required the two of them being alone so that they could spend some quality time together. Eragon was holding Gwen and had just told her to close her eyes.

"Yes, and no peeking!"

"I cannot promise that."

"Fine, then no surprise." Eragon said, playing with her.

"Fine, I will not look."

Eragon pushed a branch out of their way and walked into a grassy clearing dotted with wildflowers. "Ok, you can open your eyes now." Gwen obeyed and saw the field, but it was a blanket and a basket that really took her full attention.

"Eragon, this is wonderful! I love it! If I could hug you, I would."

Eragon's smile broadened. "I knew you would like it. Most of it was Saphira's idea."

"Tell her thank you from me. By the way, where is she?"

"She is resting. Her flights with Glaedr have worn her out, so she said she would rest while we went on a picnic. She wanted quiet time and I wanted time with you, so it was a win-win situation."

"That's good." Eragon placed her on the blanket so he could take out their lunch. Gwen's food was already pre-chopped so all he had to do was pour it out of the container onto a small plate. Gwen sat on the side of the plate, waiting for Eragon to get his food. The scene looked ridiculous, but they could care less.

When they were all set, they ate their food, chatting idly in between bites. Eragon had brought bread, nuts, apples, and cheese. When they had finished, Eragon cleaned up and lied down, looking up at the sky. Gwen had done the same and even pointed out how one of the clouds looked like a horse. Eragon laughed when he saw the cloud and for the next half hour, they looked for clouds with weird shapes.

"I wish this day would never end." Gwen said when she was tired of looking at the clouds.

"Same here. I rarely get to see you these days. I miss you when I am off training."

Gwen became touched. "So when we are apart, you think of me?"

"Yes. Do you think of me?"

"Perhaps." They bother laughed. "Yes, I think about you."

"What do you want to do now?" Eragon asked, unsure.

"I am not sure. After the picnic, I figured we would just go with the flow and figure out something."

Gwen laughed. "In that case, why don't we explore Ellesmera. We may not be entirely alone, but it is better than sitting here with nothing to do."

Eragon was unable to think of anything better to do, so he got up with Gwen on his palm, and headed to the elven city. Gwen suggested the gardens would make for a pleasant walk first and then told him that they could see the art next. Gwen had already seen most of Ellesmera, so she gave Eragon the information he needed on their almost-private-tour. The elves that were around gave hem space so that they could have their privacy.

Nearly sundown, they headed back to the blanket. "Thank you for the tour." Eragon said.

"You're welcome. Please come again soon."

"I hope so." Eragon sighed.

"What is on your mind?" Gwen asked.

"There is so much on my mind and I do not know where to begin."

"I understand. Well, how about we try to forget all our worries and watch the sun set."

"Then, when it is dark, we can star gaze."

"Yes, and if we see a shooting star, we have to make a wish."

"Agreed." Eragon looked down at Gwen. "You know what I would wish for?"

"Wouldn't you wish for you back to be healed?" Gwen asked.

"I would really like that to happen, but I would rather have you big."

It was no shocker, but it still heartened Gwen to hear Eragon say such a thing. "I would love to be big as well, but for the future of Alagaesia, your back is of more concern to me."

"I figured you would say that, but I cannot help how I feel about you. I love you."

"I love you too, which is why I want your back to get better."

Eragon looked at the setting sun, thinking. After a few minutes he said, "Gwen, when I am with you, I feel confident. I know that as long as I have you in my life, I know I will be all right."

"Then I have become your weakness." Gwen said, quietly.

Eragon was about to say something then realized that Gwen was right. She was his weakness-he would give his life for hers. "Everyone has one."

"Yes, but I did not think yours would be me."

The atmosphere suddenly became awkward. "You are displeased?"

"Yes. I am uncomfortable with the idea. My weakness is my height and because of that, chances are high that something bad could happen to me. Now I know that if something bad were to happen to me, I would worry what would become of you."

"I know." Eragon combed his fingers through his hair. The sun was already gone, the stars coming out soon. The crescent moon could already be seen. "Think a large part of it is because you are so small. If you were tall, I do not think I would be so worried."

"I sure hope not. Hey, do you think Oromis would let me visit your during your training?"

Eragon lifted up his head and stared down at Gwen. In the fading light, he could barely see her. "I can ask him. He will not let you be around when he is discussing secrets only known to Rider's, but for everything else, I do not see a problem."

"Good. Ask him tomorrow. This was you can see me and train at the same time."

"Given that I am not too distracted by your presence."

"If that happens, he might as well train me to kick your butt!"

Eragon laughed. "Well, I would like to see you try!"

"Oh, wow, was that a challenge?" Gwen laughed along with Eragon.

"Yes."

The stars finally twinkled above them, the night still very young. Gwen lied down and looked up, and the first thing she caught was a shooting star cutting across the sky. It was so quick, she was unsure if she even saw it-perhaps it was her imagination. Regardless, she made her wish.