Chapter 9

The week that followed after the Battle of Farthen Dur was very eventful. Ajihad's Funeral was held promptly where he was buried in a tomb like the kings of old. After much debate, Nasuada became the next leader of the Varden. Eragon had sworn an oath of fealty to the new leader, despite his silent protesting. He wanted to be a free Rider, unbound to anyone, but in times of war and uncertainty, he had to prove that he would serve the Varden under Nasuada's leadership.

The people of the Varden called Eragon 'Shadeslayer.' He tried to tell them that he did not defeat the shade of his own, but no one listened. He made the final blow and therefore he was the hero. One day, a woman latched onto his leg as he was mounting Saphira. In her arms was an infant who had lost both her parents. The woman who held the babe was old and begged him to bless the child. People started to crowd around to watch what the Rider would do, making Eragon very nervous. After consulting with his dragon, Eragon took off the glove and placed his right palm against the baby's forehead.

A garish blue light erupted from his hand as he chanted, "Atra gulia un ilian tauthr ono un atra ono waise skolir fra rauthr." The spell taxed Eragon a bit, but it did not completely drain him of his energy. Before the woman walked off, rambling off her gratitude, Saphira touched the babe's brow with her nose leaving the child with a silver mark on her forehead. The crowed was in awe, including the old woman.

The Dwarf king, Hrothgar, was pleased with Eragon and offered him to become a member of Durgrimst Ingeitum, the clan Hrothgar and Orik were members of. The offer was very generous and had never once been offered to a human Rider, so Eragon accepted. Orik was the one presenting and conducting the ceremony since the King was busy with other important matters. Both Eragon and Saphira also promised the dwarves that they would find a way to restore Isidar Mithrim. The dwarves were very much pleased to hear the news, and began to collect every piece of the shattered rose.

Murtagh was declared deceased when a scrap of his clothing was found in the tunnels. The news hit Eragon and Gwen hard, neither willing to believe he was really dead. The days dragged on and on until it was finally they day when they were leaving for Ellesmera. Eragon was excited to be leaving Farthen Dur for the world above. He wanted to ride on Saphira under the warm sun and blue sky dotted with fluffy white clouds, the wind dancing through his hair. He was impressed by the dwarfs' craftsmanship, but he needed fresh air.

Orik went with Eragon and Saphira, Arya, and Gwen to the elf city as a means to have a dwarf ambassador witness the Rider's training. Arya was not keen on having the dwarf tag along, but there was nothing that could be said to deter him from coming. It took the company hours before they were out of the tunnels completely. They made a stop in the dwarf city of Tarnag before pressing on along the Az Ragni on rafts. When they reached Hedarth, an elf outpost, they would abandon the rafts and travel on donkeys, or at least the dwarf's would. Eragon had his horse, Snowfire with him and Arya insisted that she would travel on foot, running along with the four-legged beasts.

Eragon was in charge of taking care of Gwen. Since she had traveled with him before and their feelings for one another had become apparent, it made sense that he was the most suitable to take care of her. From the point of view of their companions, the relationship between Eragon and Gwen looked futile, but no one had the heart to express their thoughts to the Rider. There was no reason to tell them otherwise when they were so happy together, their love strong at the moment.

It was a pleasant afternoon, the raft swaying lightly along the waves of the river. Eragon was sitting against the side of the craft dipping his fingers in the cool water. Gwen was sitting on the ledge watching him play with the water. "Is it cold?" She asked, merely out of boredom.

"Why don't you be the judge?" Eragon pulled his hand out of the water and allowed a drop to fall on Gwen. The droplet crashed against her head, splattering her small body.

"Very funny," she said, shaking off the water.

"I take it then that you would not like to go for a swim later on?" Eragon asked, laughing a little.

Gwen sighed and looked down at the water. "I never learned how to swim and now that I am tiny, swimming is not something that I would want to do."

Eragon dried off his hand with his shirt. "Well, if we can't swim, then we should fly. Come with me and let me be your wings."

"What?" She saw him place out his hand and realized that he was being serious.

"Well, technically Saphira will be our wings, but you get what I mean. Come on." He urged her. Gwen stood up and walked onto his palm. He informed the other's that he was going to fly on Saphira with Gwen. Saphira was swimming along the raft and pulled in closer so that Eragon could easily jump onto her back. Gwen was standing in Eragon's shirt pocket holding on tight as the dragon dipped below the water, and gaining momentum, swam towards the surface. She re-emerged spreading her wings and took flight along the invisible air current.

The last time Gwen was "on" Saphira was when she was rescued from Gil'ead. Back then, she was still in her glass prison and too frightened to enjoy the flight. Gwen stretched out her arms and whooped in delight as the wind pressed her against Eragon's chest as if she were stitched onto the shirt he was wearing. Saphira hummed as she twisted around in the open sky, the vibrations from her chest sounding like a cat purring. The earth below looked like a quilt-the river a blue piece of string against the patches of green. In the distance, she could just make out the Beor Mountains, and looking ahead, a small, hazy line of dark green signaling the forest of Du Weldenvarden.

They flew on Saphira until the yellow orb began to descend. They landed next to the camp made along the river and ate some dinner. That night, Eragon took first watch. Next to him, Gwen was awake lying in her walnut bed staring up at the starlit sky. It was peaceful as the sounds of nature nearly lulled her to sleep. As she thought about her day with Eragon, she said, "Thank you."

Eragon looked down at her, his head cocked in confusion. "For what?"

"For letting me ride on Saphira with you. It was the most exhilarating experience of my life. I understand why you love flying with her so much."

He smiled saying, "You're welcome. I am glad you enjoyed yourself." He poked the dying fire with a stick and went on to say, "So, you really do not know how to swim?"

Gwen nodded. "I do not even float."

Eragon thought for a moment, continuing to poke the fire. "I guess one day I will also have to be your fins."

Gwen began to laugh heartily. "Perhaps, but you realize how ridiculous you sounded just then-right?" Eragon joined in her laugher.

"I was being serious, but yes, that did sound ridiculous." Their laughter began to dissipate after a few minutes when Arya began to fidget in her sleep.

"We should be a little quieter," Gwen said, stifling her giggles. "How do you think Ellesmera will be?" She asked, changing the subject.

Eragon shrugged. "I am not sure."

"Same here. I wonder what Queen Islanzadi will react once she learns that I am still alive?"

Eragon chuckled, "I presume she would be delighted once her initial shock has faded."

"That was a rhetorical question, you know."

"Eh, I felt inclined to answer." He was silent for a while, listening to the crickets sing before he sighed and said, "You know, I really hope that the elves will not be like the humans and dwarves."

"What do you mean?" Gwen asked, stepping out of her bed and climbing onto Eragon's leg.

"It would be nice if they would see me as you do- as Eragon the person instead of Eragon the Rider. It would be nice to be recognized for who I am instead of what I am."

"I know what that is like. You know, I am starting to be glad that I became small. I feel as if we have been able to know one another much better this way." Her tender smile calmed Eragon as he took a deep breath and exhaled slowing to relax himself.

"I think you are right, but that will not stop me from finding a way to break the spell." They talked a while longer before Eragon awoke Orik and went to bed.