Chapter 14

Let Me Be your Wings

Chapter 14

A few weeks had passed since the romantic picnic. Eragon had talked to Oromis about allowing Gwen attend some of his training sessions, to which the elf agreed as long as she was not a distraction. Gwen proved to be an asset to Eragon's training since he aimed to impress her. Oromis marveled at his student's progress and even mentioned his satisfaction to Eragon. The young Rider had managed to learn a lot in such a short time, a very notable feat.

Gwen sat on Oromis's table, watching the elf teach Eragon how to create a fairth. Orik, accompanied by Arya, was present as well, witnessing Eragon's training so that he could make a positive report to his King. Eragon studied the blank tablet before him before he uttered a spell that splashed color upon the tablet. The colors weaved together, forming into a shape of a young woman with long golden hair and bright blue eyes. As the image became clearer, Gwen could see that it was a fairth depicting how Eragon viewed her.

The onlookers gazed at the beauty of the image, astounded. "You have done well, Eragon." Oromis said, patting him on the back. "You have a very interesting way of depicting her." In the picture, Gwen was sitting on top of a whole walnut, a pink rose in the background.

"I would have loved to have created a fairth of her being tall, but that would have been difficult, so I imagined this image instead."

"It is a lovely picture, Eragon." Gwen said, still staring at the fairth.

"Thank you."

His training continued until sundown where he was reminded about the Agaetí Blödhren, or the Blood-Oath Celebration. Eragon decided to write a poem for his project; it is custom that those in attendance of the celebration bring something to share. He had no idea what Saphira or Gwen were going to bring, but he had come up with an epic poem that he thought would prove to be interesting.

In his quarters, he sat down at the desk in the corner and dipped a quill in the black ink. He grabbed a blank sheet of paper and began to write:

In the kingdom by the sea

In the mountains mantled blue…

He wrote until his eyes became heavy and sleep took him. At the start of his dreams, the plot of his poem unfolded. As the dream progressed, his main character become himself as his character's lover morphed into Gwen. In his dream, she was tall, the two of them dancing in circles. As they danced, however, Gwen began to shrink, a menacing laughter taking the place of pleasant music. He picked up the miniature woman as a single tear rolled down her rosy cheek.

Eragon awoke with a wet face. He wiped away his tears, hoping that they did not smear the ink on his poem. Fortunately, they did not. He walked away from the table and curled up next to Saphira.

In the days that followed, the elves began to get ready for the celebration. Eragon found himself to be excited for the event, wondering how it would unfold. The celebration only occurs once every century and lasts for three days, so he was honored to be a part of it, and as the first human man to be in attendance. Gwen shared in his excitement, ready to have a wonderful time.

"Will you not tell me what your project is?" Eragon asked her, wishing she would give in.

Responding, she said, "That would spoil everything, Eragon, so stop pestering me about it."

With a sigh, Eragon relented from his questioning. "Fine, have it your way."

"May I remind you that the Agatí Blödhren is tomorrow, so you need not wait much longer," she reassured him. "I know you are anxious, but patience is a virtue," she said, teasing him.

Saphira laughed, and then said, We all know how impatient Eragon is; you'd think that after all of his training, he would be less persistent.

Eragon rolled his eyes before he placed the finishing touches on his poem.