Chapter 15

Let Me Be Your Wings

Chapter 15

Eragon sat upon a massive tree root, escaping from the massive crowd before him. Gwen sat upon his lap, quietly waiting for the celebration to begin. Elves from all over Du Weldenvarden trekked over to Ellesméra to congregate around the famous Menoa Tree. The tree felt more alive than ever, or so Eragon thought, as a soft hum reverberated around the forest. As the time grew closer to midnight, the elves began to disperse from the center taking their seats. At the base of the tree stood Queen Islanzadí, Blagden perched on her shoulder while the werecat Maud lurked behind her.

The elf queen lifted her left arm towards the new moon and waited. Soon, a white orb appeared on her palm, and with light footsteps, Islanzadí walked over to a hollow in the tree where she placed the orb. In that moment, the Blood-Oath Celebration had begun.

Dividing themselves into informal groups, the elves left the Menoa Tree for the forest and clearing that encircled the tree. Long tables were laden with various fruits and vegetables, nuts, cheese, and desserts. With his mouth watering, Eragon approached the table and began to take part in the grand feast as a few elves began to sing, their hypnotic voices ringing through the cool night air.

All sense of time escaped Eragon and Gwen as they ate, laughed, danced, below the trees. Their enjoyment was effortless as they felt like children, but they could care less as the elves laughed and danced along with them. The stress Eragon had dissipated as all thought of war left his mind for the sake of the celebration.

Eragon and Gwen had the opportunity to meet many elves. They met one covered in scales much like a dragon and another that looked more like a wolf than an elf. Then, there were two identical elf women who were joined together at the fingers. The variety of forms the elves took on amazed the two of them. "If you had the power to alter your physical appearance, would you?" Eragon asked Gwen as the identical elf women walked away.

"No, I do not think I would; I like the way that I look. What about you?"

Eragon shook his head. "No. It would be very strange, but I guess that is because we grew up in a human society."

"Indeed. One's upbringing poses a major factor."

On the second day, the elves began to recite poems along with their songs. Eragon remembered both the queen's poem as well as Arya's. They were magnificent poems and Eragon hoped his would be praised as well despite the fact that he is no artisan, writer, or bard. With his heart pounding, Eragon delivered his poem on the third and final day of the celebration. The elves' slanted eyes watched as he unraveled his scroll and began to recite the words on the page.

Gwen listened intently as each verse rolled off his tongue, her mind envisioning the events detailed in his work. When he had finished, he stood there awkwardly at the podium waiting for the elves' reaction. After a few seconds of silence, he ducked his head to take his seat next to Gwen, his cheeks heating up.

"No need for that Eragon, your poem was fantastic!" Gwen clapped the sound barely audible above the humming of the Menoa Tree. Looking around, Eragon noticed the elves nodding in agreement.

"Very well done," Islanzadí said, "it seems as if you have discovered some hidden talent. Your work shall be added to our library."

Smiling, Eragon said, "Thank you."

Saphira presented her contribution next. She flew off into the forest and returned with a stone sculpture. The stone was glossy, the light from the lanterns reflecting off the surface. It was molded to look like flames as the rock was twisted and coiled with magnificent detail. Saphira opened her mouth to eject a steady flow of fire onto the sculpture. When she finally closed her jaws, the stone was bright red and the illusion that it was alive awed the crowd.