Chapter 9: Reflections

Charlotte's POV

 Flashback

"Mommy, why do you and Daddy always kiss? You share cooties! Ew!" I sneered in disgust. We were having a picnic in the forest on a summer afternoon, like a perfect family. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and the leaves were rustling in the wind. Everything was perfect. This moment was perfect.

They looked at each other, lovingly. Their eyes twinkling in the sun's rays, making them look like a perfect dream. They looked back at me, their first and only, 5 year old daughter.

"We're mates, Sweetie. That's why." My mom answered. I cocked my head to the right in confusion, resembling a lost puppy. I was dumbfounded. What were mates?

"Huh? What are mates?" I asked, curiously. Somehow, their eyes seem to become brighter as they heard the word, 'mate'. They looked back at each other and sighed happily. Finally, they breathed in deeply. I could tell they were going to say a long speech..

"Mates. They're the most beautiful things in the werewolf world." My dad mumbled the second part along the lines, 'apart from you.' but I didn't really catch it. 

My mom continued for him, "Mates are like apart of you. When you meet them, you feel whole, complete. They  care for you, look out for you, respect you, and most of all. They love you. Everyone wants a mate! You can't live without them." She said it with so much love, so much compassion, so much heart. I grinned widely, dreaming about my mate and I. My eyes twinkled just thinking about it. 

"Do I have a mate?" I asked, excitedly. I sighed dreamily, thinking how my mate and I would be like together. He could make me cookies whenever I want! 

They both smiled but it didn't reach their eyes. They looked at each other for a second, a worried glint flashing through both of their eyes. 

"We don't know, Charlie. But we think so."

Flashback Over

 "Well, you guys are right. I do have a mate." I laughed humorlessly. I ran a hand through the cool water of the near by stream I was sitting by.

"Why aren't you guys here? You abandoned me, you left me to survive this crazy world on my own. You have no idea how much help I need right now from you guys right now. I want to be normal like the rest of the wolves. I want you guys with me along the way. I loved you guys." I whispered the last part. 

"What did I do to deserve this? I would be better off dead." I laughed bitterly. Suddenly, I heard stirring in my head. It sounded like...... Scarlett. 

Never tell that to yourself. Scarlett snapped. I rolled my eyes in annoyance. Just minutes ago she kept calling me a coward and how stupid I am! Now, she's telling me I deserve to live? I scoffed. She needs to learn I wasn't supposed to be breathing this very moment. I was a werewolf angel for god's sake! I was a mistake.

We were never a mistake. Scarlett growled. Just because the council might kill us the moment they see us doesn't mean we should die. Charlotte, there's people who love you, people who love us! Do the names: Macy, Daniel, and Derek ring a bell?

I sighed in frustration. It was true. Now, I actually had people who cared about me. They might even be sad if I died. I don't want them to be sad because of me..

"Whatever." I mumbled. I didn't want to think about family now. I came here to relax. To think.

I dozed off, ignoring Scarlett's retorts. Mindlessly, I ran a hand into the stream, loving the feeling of water between my fingers. Until an unbelievable thing happened.