Chapter 26: Unconditionally

COVER ON THE SIDE BY SOMEONE_2_LOST

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Recap:

"I guess I'll see you around, Charlotte."

I watched, quietly, as she maneuvered around me to get to the stairs. Each step she took was another stab in my heart, and even though I had nothing to feel guilty about, the God forsaken feeling still nipped my emotions. I don't know how long I stood there, but the minutes that ticked by were severely intense.

I shook my head and rushed to return to Trent's side. He was in an identical position as the one before, his eyebrows crinkled into an adorable frown. I slid into the bed next to him, drawing the blanket over us as soon as I lied down.

But I couldn't sleep. Because even when the sun is gone, lying beyond the horizon, the night is alive; fully awake. And I feel like I'm one of the twinkling stars that live miles away, just waiting for a beam of light to take me down.

Author's Note: This chapter has huge character development, so please read this with an open mind. Some characters you might have forgotten (that are important) are: Daniel Sake (Charlie's adoptive brother), Macy Sake (adoptive mother), and Derek Sake (adoptive father + Beta + one who wrote Charlie the poem in Chapter 20).

Charlie's friends: Casey and Maria (girls who helped Charlie find her dress for the Baing Ball), Jeff (Maria's mate), and Alex (Charlie's closest and most immature guy friend). However, they aren't very important in this story anymore, they're just good characters you should know.

Click external link for The Angel Within playlist >>>

Also, this chapter has a bit of a different writing style, so sorry for those who don't like it. I'm trying to find out which styles suits me best. Feel free to let me know what you think!

x unedited

Chapter 26: Unconditionally

Charlotte's POV

When my eyes flutter open, I realize that time has already eaten the morning and fractions of the afternoon away. The sun was full, large and round in the sky; its indulging heat taking up too much space in the air. Light seeped through the papery thin curtains, bathing the infirmary room in the soft, warm glow of daybreak.

Although some part of me dimly registered the various aches and pains assaulting my body, for some reason I felt secure. It was as if in the darkness of sleep I was holding onto something that anchored me down, that didn't let me drift off into something inescapable. I didn't want to let go of this source of protection and warmth so I drew closer, holding it to me dearly. Tethered to my source of security and holding onto to it tightly, I was tempted to fall deeper into the confines of dreamless sleep.

So absorbed in my surroundings, I hardly noticed Trent burying his nose into my hair. But when I turned my head over, his face was the first thing I see, and it feels like my whole system is attuned to him as if my frequencies are otherwise incomplete.

Drunk on disorientation, I merely watched as Trent winked, the faint breeze of his eyelashes nipping at my cheeks. My palms were sweaty, as if the intensity and warmth of his scrutiny was too much to handle. His arm was draped across my waist, chaining me against the structure of his body so I couldn't escape - not like I wanted to anyway.