Chapter 14: Taking Risks

Charlotte's POV  

I gazed silently at the pack, watching them cheer and hoot in joy as bleak thoughts plagued my mind. How lucky were they to live a life free of worry? Without danger lurking in the shadows? The life I always envied, craved, needed, they have it. The life I would never have.

So here I was, staring mutely in their midst as they rejoiced like crazy, happy werewolves. What should I do? What could I do? For the first time ever, there was a glimmer of light in my life. But I always have to be plunged back into the darkness.

Not only did I have to wear an extremely formal dress that could definitely reveal much skin, but the people who killed my parents will be there. The Council. What if my identity was revealed? They would murder me mercilessly in front of every wolf in our supernatural world. Just imagine the hiding, planning and running I went through all these years of my life, wasted.

A shiver coursed through my body and it finally struck me that something was amiss. It was chilly. I was bewildered as it was warm not long ago. I glanced around instinctively and noticed something was missing. Or should say... someone.

'Where's Trent?" I questioned Scarlet.  

'You were so caught up with your problems, you didn't even notice your mate leave.' Scarlet answered.

'Where did he go?' I asked curiously. I heard Scarlet mentally sigh in frustration.

'He looked pretty tired so I guess he went to bed. Now could you stop asking uneccessary questions?!' Scarlet snapped. If I could, I would've slapped her. This is an example of one of the times where Scarlet just pissed me off. It was just a question. Sometimes curiosity just get the best of me.

My thoughts halted abruptly when I heard my two best friends squeal my name. My head snapped to them and my eyes met their twinkling ones. I mentally groaned as I could tell I was going to get an earful about the ball.

"Now do you know what we're talking about Charlie?! The Baring Ball! I can't wait! I could meet my mate, we could make babies and I could name my future baby boys after One Direction! But if I have a sixth boy, I'll probably name it after Kevin the pigeon! Or maybe Paul... or even Si-"

"What Casey's trying to say is... Aren't you excited about the Baring Ball!?" Maria asked enthusiastically, cutting off Casey's rambling about naming babies. I plastered my best fake smile and nodded my head fervently.

"Y-Yeah! Of course. Its the first ball I'm attending after all. But I have a question..." I left my sentence hanging. Maria and Casey looked at me in interest, waiting for me to finish my statement.

I sighed and licked my lips before continuing, "You know the law that prohibits angels and werewolves to mate? Well, if the angels are coming, what if some of the wolves find out that they're mates with angels? Aren't we enemies with them too? Just imagine the chaos that will ensue." Maria and Casey stared at me intently with mouths slightly open, before breaking out into fits of laughter. I was dumbfounded and a little offended as to why they laughed at my serious question! After they settled down, Casey cleared her throat.

"Yeah, that is possible but the last time that happened was about 18 years ago! Its a rare occurance. Also, we angels and werewolves are far from enemies, we're practically best friends! We've had each other's back since the Super World War, does that ring a bell?" Casey explained. The words, 'Super World War' had my eyebrows furrowed in confusion. What was that? I've never heard of it... 

As if reading my mind, Casey continued her speech."Oh right, you were in a human orphanage so you wouldn't know about the war... Basically, the Super World War was the longest, most violent fight in history between the dark angels and the werewolves. The dark angels had unfathomable powers that overwhelmed the werewolves. They held the upperhand and were about to vanquish us. Uniting with the white angels were our only chance in winning. Finally, when the white angels decided to lend us a hand, we turned the tables and triumphed over evil!" Casey exclaimed, with a victorious smile.