Chapter 25: Guilitily Innocent

COVER ON THE SIDE BY REBELLIOUSPOTATO 

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Recap:

"A lot could go wrong," he responded. "You'd be surprised."

Then, it happened. The door swung open, nearly slapping me in the face. I stumbled backwards. And at times like this, time seemed to screw us over because I was being hurled into darkness. It occurred quickly, and I could not comprehend my situation as I was already falling.

I hit the ground and sprawled out in an ungainly manner. They closed in on me, surrounding me in a way that I felt captured. And I was. Because I couldn't simply escape, I couldn't just save myself from the horrors of reality. And as I lie there, it dawns upon me. I'd forgotten to protect myself. I'd forgotten to keep my heart safe.

Just then, I wished that I were a moth. So I could flutter away, find a safe haven among the stars. But, I knew it was too good to be true. Because you couldn't avoid the agony that came with life. No, you simply had to endure it, unless you wanted it to endure you.

Author's Note: Most of you have probably forgotten this but in Chapter 21, Trent's most recent POV, it explains how most of the pack had turned their backs on Charlie (except for her adoptive family and friends, ofc). They believed she lied and manipulated them. The act was unforgivable in their eyes, so they went on a rampage. They wrote, "She deceived us all. Charlotte Taken will be no more." on the walls and it looked like a tornado took place in the pack house.

ALSO, THIS IS A MAJOR FILLER, JUST TO LET YOU KNOW.

unedited

Chapter 25: Guiltily Innocent 

Charlotte's POV

It was a blur really, and I wished to a great extent that my cautious frequencies could occur more often. And I hated that, because when my guards were down, when I was defenseless, it seemed as if my traitorous hands would willingly open the door to a room full of danger.

It drove me crazy because it seemed like I pulled every threat into my orbit. And I would be in the center of it all, as the danger circled around me, like I were nothing but the sun in the galaxy.

To see the world turn its back on me makes me hurt. To see my own pack glower at me, pin me to the ground as if I were nothing but a dirty mat, makes it worse. And as my pack - my loved ones - tangle me with the grass that lies beneath, I want to hold my breath until all the oxygen vacates me, offering me to a universe of darkness.

Surely, it would be better than struggling to find a foothold in this mess I call my life.

Multiple hands held me to the floor, like I was a starfish wrestling against gravity. It felt like I was handcuffed, and even though I could easily weasel my way out of this position, they were my pack. I couldn't afford to dig myself a deeper hole.

There was a moment where the silence around us stretched long and wide, like a vast ocean no boat could ever cross. It was unsettling, their abhorrence towards me unnerving. When someone's face appeared before me, I hardly noticed. His grin was positively wicked, eyes slanted mischievously as he watched me fumble from below him.

"Charlotte Taken," the pack member - who I recalled was named Grant - seethed. He'd said my name as if it was foul, as if just saying the mere words made an individual a lot more disgraceful. "I must say, seeing you crawl back here is hilarious. Pitiful even."