Chapter Eight

'Ugh! Oh my god! Have you seen some of this stuff?!' Conor shouted at me. We, along with the rest of the band, Jackson, and Sarah, were sitting on Name Withheld's new tour bus. This one was significantly less comfortable than the last, given that it didn't have any beds in it. Essentially, we'd just commandeered a regular bus and painted the band's logo on the side.

Conor was sitting at the front of the bus, surrounded by an invisible cloud of hostility, so the rest of us were secreted away near the back. He had his laptop open and was, apparently, displeased with what he was seeing on it.

'Um. Seen what?'

Irritably, Conor beckoned me and I moved up towards his seat, lowering myself down beside him.

'This,' he said, waving towards the screen, a disgusted expression on his face. I took the laptop from him gingerly, not wanting to annoy him further, and glanced at the screen.

A purple-hued webpage was open with the words "Conor" and "Arthur" entwined in intricate gold lettering across the top. Beneath this was an introduction to the site – obviously the fanfic website Carrie Chilcott had alluded to the day before – and a series of menus: Highest Rated, Most Popular, Newest, Rated R. I clicked on the second tab Conor had opened and one of the Rated R stories materialised. Quickly scanning the page, I surmised that somebody had put an awful lot of thought into Conor and Arthur's imaginary sex life.

'Oh,' I managed to say. 'Oh, god.'

'Tyler,' Conor whined, his mood suddenly shifting from anger to desperation in that lightning speed that only he can manage, 'why is this happening?'

'I don't know,' I said truthfully, putting my arm around him and guiding his head so it rested on my shoulder. 'But I bet if you ignore it it'll go away,' I added. I wasn't at all sure that this was true, but it was what my Mom had always said to me when I was little about the things that were bothering me, and it had always worked out then.

I moved my other hand towards the touchpad, intending to exit the site, but I blinked and the laptop had disappeared. A cackling Tarquin stood beside us, holding the computer aloft and taking a moment to stick his tongue out at us before racing to the back of the bus to share his new toy with the others.

'Oh, god, no,' Conor whispered, horrified, before jumping out of his seat and chasing after Tarquin. I followed warily, not looking forward to what was about to happen.

Sure enough, Tarquin was sitting in his seat reading excerpts of the story aloud while Daniel and Philip restrained a panicked Conor from either grabbing the laptop, beating his drummer to death, or both.

'"Arthur kissed Conor's throat slowly, lingering over his soft spot momentarily-" Wait, what's a soft spot?'

Sally snorted. 'It's your own loss if you don't know that, mate,' she informed him smugly, winking at Jackson.

'Hmph,' Tarquin grumbled, before remembering that he was in possession of something far more embarrassing to somebody else and continuing, 'Okay, where was I? Ah... "Arthur kissed Conor's throat slowly, lingering over his soft spot momentarily before biting down, causing Conor to gasp, and then moan as Arthur licked the bruised area better."'

In reality, Conor was struggling desperately against his bandmates while I stood behind them in the aisle, blocked from getting any closer to Tarquin by their bodies.

'Come on guys, this isn't cool,' I said quietly.

Tarquin completely ignored me however, and kept reading, affecting character voices for the speech, '"He continued to kiss back along Conor's jawbone before alighting on his lips again and slowly probing the other boy's mouth with his tongue. 'Now,' Conor gasped, 'do it now!'