Chapter Nine

We reconvened in the library again on Thursday, the day before we were supposed to present a finished play to Mr Doherty and Ms Hughes. Conor was sitting in his trademark slouch, arms crossed over his chest, looking moody, but Sally was sitting on the edge of her seat, literally, her eyes bright and her mouth stretching into a grin when she saw us three approaching through the bookshelves.

'I have got the best idea,' she gushed before we were even sitting down. There was a large pile of papers in front of her on the table, unwrinkled and stapled at the top left hand corner.

'Go on...' Rachel is naturally suspicious of people who think their ideas might be better than hers.

'Well, Tyler, you know the way Jackson was saying yesterday about his school not letting him put on his bisexual play?'

I nodded, but inside I was panicking. I knew where this was going.

'Well he emailed it to me last night, and Rachel you were right,' that's Rach on board anyway, 'Jackson is an incredible writer. This play is amazing.'

'So?' Josh asked, not rudely.

'So I think we should put this play on. It would stick it to the St Vincent's administration,' she stated, naming the public secondary school Jackson attended, 'and it would be a really nice thing to do for him. We could say it was your idea if you like, Tyler.'

Wittily, I said, 'Um...'

Josh cleared his throat, looking slightly nervous. Could Sally not see the huge potential this had to explode in a fiery eruption of doom? 'Don't we already... Have a play?'

'It's still missing,' Sally responded flatly, even though she knew Josh had the green notebook. I had forgotten all about it until she mentioned that, and the already churning contents of my stomach took a new, more painful twist. My loyalties were being tested more this week than in the rest of my life put together.

'We do have to give something to Ms Hughes by tomorrow,' Rachel admitted slowly, biting her lip. Now that she was in on all the drama she was hesitant to pit Conor and Jackson against each other as well. I was really surprised Sally would even consider it; Conor was her best friend.

'I think Jackson would really appreciate it,' Sally added.

I looked desperately at Josh and Rachel – what was I supposed to say to that?

'Well we should at least read it first before we make a decision,' Rachel said authoritatively, and I could have kissed her. Obviously Conor would be against the idea, and if Josh and Rachel both decided against it too then I could make some vague, "Aw, guys, really?" noises without making it obvious which play I preferred.

'Well, read it now.' Sally pushed the play across the table towards us.

'Have you read it?' I risked asking Conor as Rach and Josh started reading. He seemed no more crabby than usual, but knowing Conor he was one ill-thought-out comment from the edge.

'Yeah,' he muttered, looking up at me. Then, to my surprise, 'It's good.'

I couldn't stop myself raising my eyebrows. 'Really?'

'Yeah. We should use it.'

I opened my mouth to respond, but clamped it shut again, and turned, pretending to read Jackson's script. What the hell was that all about? Did he just chicken out or something? I felt my anger growing. He didn't want to show his own play in case the school figured out who it was about. Did he even write the play in the first place? I hadn't exactly seen it, had I? He could have just made the whole thing up.