Chapter Eight

Conor slammed through the door to the boys' bathroom across the hall from the library and I walked in after him quietly. He threw his bag on the floor so it went skidding across the opaque tiles and slumped against the wall under the window. I don't think he'd heard me follow him, because he went straight to the bank of sinks and rested his hands on the edge, staring down into the porcelain bowl and muttering to himself. He grunted a few times, slamming the heel of him palm off the countertop.

I leaned my shoulder against the wall, arms crossed, and watched him. I couldn't make out what he was saying but he was clearly berating himself, and after a moment I pushed myself off the wall and hoisted myself up on the counter beside his hands. He looked up in shock, then flushed pink and glowered when he saw it was me.

'You always have such favourable reactions to my presence,' I said mildly, swinging my legs gently and looking up at him.

'What do you want?'

'What do you want?' I asked meaningfully, looking away. Conor's school tie was loosened and his top two shirt buttons were opened. He looked really sexy.

'I... Oh, fuck this.' Suddenly Conor was standing in front of me, pulling my face to his and crashing his lips against mine. It could have been ten minutes or ten years since we'd last kissed; I fell back into the same lust and longing I always had when he kissed me. I would have compared it to Jackson's cool, patient lips but I can't lie – all thoughts of Jackson left my head as soon as I felt Conor's breath on my mouth.

Our lips in moved in sync and I lifted my hands from the counter to wind them into Conor's hair roughly, pulling him closer; his hands landed on my hips and he shoved my legs open with his thigh so he could stand between them, pushing his body into mine.

I moaned quietly when I felt his tongue tracing my bottom lip and opened my mouth, letting him in and giving over control to him without a fight; I was overcome with longing now and all I wanted was to let him do whatever he wanted. His tongue ran over mine and probed my mouth roughly and deliciously, until I had to pull away and gasp for breath. Conor rested his forehead against mine, his eyes closed and breathing heavily.

'That's what I want,' he said quietly, then pulled away and walked out of the bathroom, grabbing his schoolbag as he went.

————————————

When I got back to the library, Jackson and Josh were back, along with an icepack that was sitting in a small puddle of water on the table.

'Where'd you go?' Jackson asked, concern etched on his face, as I sat back down beside him. I saw his hand move to take mine and quickly lifted it run it through my hair. I couldn't hold his hand. I felt dirty. The best kind of dirty.

'Bathroom,' I answered honestly, and folded my arms across my chest so he couldn't go for my hand again.

'Is your foot okay?'

'Uh, yeah. It's fine now. Sorry about...' I motioned to the icepack.

'Where'd Conor go?' Josh asked carefully, since it didn't look like anyone else was going to.

'He... Got a call,' Sally answered after a minute, her glance flicking to me briefly. 'Actually, it was an important call, I should go see... Um... How important it was.' She stood up and practically bolted out of the library.

Clearly, everybody knew what was going on, except for Jackson and, amazingly, Rachel, who grinned smugly and said, 'She thinks Jackson is cute,' as if this explained the rapid departure. Jackson burned bright red.

'Well this has pretty much been a total waste of time,' Josh said cheerfully. 'Anyone up for the Coffee Dock?'

I honestly just wanted to go to bed, but I followed the other three out of the library and across campus to the Coffee Dock. Obviously Loopy was in class so one of the older members of staff was on duty, but it may as well have been the same person for the way she sat on a stool behind the counter flicking through a magazine and ignoring us.