Epilogue

I settled back into my seat comfortably, pleased with the upgrade to first class that the label had sprung for as an extra apology for Sean McKinney's behaviour.

I was prepared for a power nap when Conor reached down and pulled the lever under my seat, causing it to collapse backwards with a jolt, scaring the shit out of me.

'Hey! What was that for?!'

Conor blinked at me innocently. 'What? I was just trying to help.'

'Liar,' I muttered, fully awake now that there was adrenaline pumping through my system. 'Just because you're not tired.'

'If you loved me you'd stay awake and hang out with me,' he said simply, and I glared at him. He had very quickly gotten over his phase of penitence and was back to his usual self. Which was what I wanted, I suppose, so I couldn't really complain.

'Fuck off,' I enunciated clearly, leaning back in my now 45⁰ seat and starting again when I saw a pair of large blue eyes blinking down at me curiously. 'Fuck!' I gasped, and Conor laughed again as I almost head-butted Gretchen in the face with surprise.

'Sorry!' she chirped happily, moving back out of my way.

'Don't worry about it,' I muttered, missing economy class already.

'What are you two doing up here?' Conor asked amiably, spinning his seat around to face Gretchen and Louise, seemingly delighted at having run into them again. If anybody can charm his fans, it's my boyfriend.

'We heard you guys were travelling first class, so we decided we would too,' Gretchen said simply, as if this were totally normal behaviour.

'Cool,' Conor said mildly, as if he agreed.

'You're a lot moodier when you're awake,' Gretchen observed, directing this comment at me. 'I prefer him when he's asleep,' she added to Conor, as if I couldn't hear. 'He's cuter.'

I looked from one to the other, my frustration peaking, then shook my head and gave up, putting my chair back into the upright position and spinning around to face them also.

'And you should be nice to me,' Gretchen added. Once again Louise seemed to be the silent partner in their relationship. 'I told that Chilcott woman that I was on your side.'

I had to admit that this was true. 'That is true,' I told her. 'Thanks.'

Gretchen beamed, easily pleased.

'I'm totally glad you two are back together, by the way,' she went on, apparently holding a conversation by herself for our entertainment. 'I don't know what you were thinking. I mean Arthur is hot and all but you two just don't go together.' She rolled her eyes, not even looking for an explanation or an excuse, like an indulgent mother. 'I'm glad you came to your senses,' she finished up.

'Me too,' Conor said solemnly, slipping his hand into mine.

'Me too,' I added dryly, squeezing it.

Gretchen grinned again, and reached into her pocket pulling something out and holding it up to her face before we could stop her or hide behind our arms. 'Has to be done,' she explained, snapping countless pictures of us with her camera.

Conor and I glanced at each other, wondering how to react, then he just smiled and pulled me towards him, snuggling into me as we both smiled for the camera. Undoubtedly these would also end up in some publication somewhere, with some regurgitated remarks from Conor's earlier interviews about our unbridled lust for each other, but I found this time around I didn't care. He'd been right the first time. We loved each other, so who cared if the whole world knew about it?

In fact, I thought happily to myself as I let my head rest on his shoulder and chatted with Gretchen and Louise while the former continued her photography shoot, I wanted the whole world to know. Because nobody could ever take him away from me again, and I didn't even want them to try.