Chapter Seven

'Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise "getting some air" was the new slang for "I'm going to kill myself by jumping out of this window".' I watched dubiously as Conor shifted his weight from the inside windowsill to the outside one.

'Are you always so dramatic? Come here, I'll show you.'

I walked over to the window and peered outside, past Conor. It was getting really cold now, and the bottom of the sun was disappearing over the horizon.

'See?' I dragged my gaze away from the sunset and looked where Conor was pointing; two floors below, the meditation room jutted out with a large stained glass window, and on the top of this extension was a roof garden. It looked to be pretty badly taken care of; plants were dying and weeds were flourishing, but the upshot of it was that a trellis covered in dying climbing roses was nailed to the wall all the way up to the roof above our heads.

'Presumably you're joking,' I deadpanned.

'Oh come on.' Conor caught onto the side of the window frame and placed a tattered Nike through a hole in the trellis, then caught on with both hands. 'Don't be such a pussy. I thought fairies could fly.' His eyes gleamed and before I could say anything else he had practically disappeared, climbing up the trellis and onto the flat roof above.

I grimaced, cursing my own stupidity, and followed suit, climbing onto the windowsill and grabbing the trellis, which felt really flimsy now I was in a position to think about it.

'Took you so long?' Conor was laid out on the roof on his back, his arms folded behind his head and his eyes closed.

'Figured I'd take some extra precautions and try not to die,' I muttered, scrambling over the edge of the roof and crawling over to sit upright next to him, eyeing the edge warily.

'Has anyone ever told you how much fun you are?'

I made a face even though he couldn't see it. Neither of us said anything for a few moments, sitting in comfortable silence, until Conor sat up and announced, 'Now let's watch the sunset, like proper gays.'

'Wow,' I replied, shaking my head. 'All day without a homophobic comment and then two in as many minutes.'

'Shut up,' Conor rocked over sideways and nudged me with his shoulder. 'You love it.'

How was it that he could get away with anything with me?

I don't know if you've ever watched the sunset in November, but it is incredible. When the sun first starts setting it becomes amazingly bright and blinding, lighting up one area of the sky so much that the rest seems even darker in comparison. It makes your eyes water. Then as it continues to set the sky turns red and blue and purple and the clouds take on startling formations, and you feel like there's something entirely different going on up there that you have no idea about and couldn't even begin to understand.

Eventually the sky settled into a deep purple and the stars started twinkling.

'You're right,' I said eventually; we'd been silent for fifteen minutes. 'That was pretty gay.'

Conor groaned and dropped his face onto his knees, which were pulled up in front of him. He was just wearing his flimsy school shirt and his hair was still damp; he had to be freezing. I battled with the urge to put my arm around him. 'I am never doing anything romantic with you again.'

There was a pause, and I pointed to the sky. 'That one's Orion's Bel-'

'Oh shut up,' Conor scowled, and I laughed.

'Sorry, sorry, I'll stop. No seriously though, it was lovely. I'd like to... I'd like to say something... Something I prepared tonight. I consider myself... a bit of a loner. I tend to think of myself as a one-man wolf pack. And when I met you, I knew you were one of my own. And my wolf pack, it grew by one-'