Chapter 2: Along for the ride

Kyle found me playing Poker with some of Alex's team members. "Deal me in." Kyle said. The dealer gave Kyle two cards and we started the round. "So, how's it going?" Kyle asked. "Drifting wherever the current takes me, I seem to have reverted back to how it was before I came to D.O.D.C." I answered. "You'll take control back soon enough." Kyle said. I pulled in the chips in the pot. "Three of a Kind." I said. I couldn't stop thinking about our hometown. If the Darkened had taken over, and have gotten more powerful, what would happen to the place. I watched Kyle pull in the money in the pot.
     I got up to leave the table. "Hey, where are you going?" Kyle asked. "Up to the deck, I need some fresh air." I said. "You know, if you ever need a break on military  stuff, this isn't just a military cruise ship. It's not as known, but you could probably find some people outside of the Light Guards group and talk to them. Loosen up, you seem tense." Kyle advised. "When are you going to stop acting like a mother?" I asked. "I'm the captain, you're the soldier. Got it?" He said. I rolled my eyes. Kyle slugged me in the arm. "Don't disrespect your leaders." Kyle disciplined. I ran up to the deck without saying anything else, a break from military would be heaven.

     I was staring out at the sea when a girl walked up. She was probably my age. I didn't think or even care too much. I was lost in thought on the military. I really should let go of that. "Hey, what's your name?" She asked. Ask a question like that and I could tell she wasn't with our group.  "Zack." I said, trying to be as casual, which isn't easy once you live to fight. "Sarah, pleased to meet you." she said. She stuck out her hand. I went back to staring at the sea. 
          When she started to walk away I felt kind of bad. I caught up to her. "Hey, wait!" I called. She looked back at me. "Sorry, socializing hasn't been my thing since two years ago." I apologized. "That's not something you apologize for. Are you part of the onboard military group?" She asked. "Yes. Wait, how'd you know there was a military group onboard?" I asked her.

     "There's been some rumors spread around about a military group called the Light Guards. Is that what it's called?" Sarah asked. "Yes." I answered. "Oh, I've heard some good things and bad. Are you here to sink the ship?" She asked. What in the world? I will never understand people sometimes. "No, where'd you hear that?" I asked. "Someone claimed they were spying on you guys." She said. "Some idiot." I didn't realize I said that out loud. "That's for sure." Sarah said. I hadn't realized it but we had walked halfway across the ship.

       "You said you weren't good at socializing?" Sarah said. I nodded. "I can help with that. Make you not only a military soldier, but a citizen as well, you'd be good for anything." She said. "Oh, I wish." I said. "Oh, come on. Don't be a downer." Sarah said. Great, now I have two people giving me advice. I decided as a small bit of payback I'd give Sarah a little scare.

     I bought a cap from the gift shop as a souvenir but I could part with it. I put the cap on so Sarah could clearly see it, then I jumped off the ship. Right now is a good time where keeping my Darkened powers would help, so I'm glad I still have them. I took off the cap and through it down into the water, then teleported to a place where Sarah couldn't see me. When she started to run inside to deliver the 'tragic' news I appeared right behind her and said, "Boo." She screamed and fell to the floor. I laughed. She started laughing with me.

      "That was good. How'd you get back on the ship? It looked like you fell past the point of no return. " Sarah asked. I summoned my Darkened sword. "I have the gift of magic." I said, then put away the sword.  "Alright, see ya around." She said. "Meet me at the Poker table tomorrow at 1:00 PM if you want to see me again. Until then, bye." I said. "Oh, and Zack" She called, forgetting to tell me something. "Yes?" I said politely. "I have a feeling we'll be great friends." She said. I nodded, and headed back to the Light Guards cabin.