Chapter 4: The new powers

I walked into a lab. The lab where every power I knew would be useless. "This is going to hurt. Are you sure your ready?" Kyle put his hand on my shoulder. Trying to keep our friendship intact, I let him. I nodded. "Zack, you've been drained before, this is going to feel ten times worse when extracting your magic and you know that." He said with a worried face. Sarah also had a worried face. "I'll...I'll be fine." I said with a shaky voice. I 'm the subject, of course I'm scared. I stepped into the chamber.

     The scientist behind the desk with some levers and buttons hit a switch. I could feel the pain. It was as though all the life was being drained out of me through the floor. I fell on all fours. Sarah tried to run up to me but Kyle stopped her. "He'll be fine." Kyle reassured. It lasted for a whole minute before I fell to the ground again. I felt like three tons were on my back. I fell down to an injured position. "Start pumping in the pure magic." I faintly heard Kyle order. "If we do that while he still has the dark magic inside him he'll die!" The scientist yelled. "It's probably enough that it won't kill him, besides he'll end up dead if you keep this up. Now do as I say!" Kyle yelled. "Wait." The scientist said.  The pain stopped about ten seconds later. I started to feel something start to lift me. I was dying.

     "Now!" Kyle yelled. The scientist flipped a switch and I started to feel fine. I got back on my feet. It felt weird, like I wasn't in my body. After about five minutes I felt fine. "Let's see if you still have the skill to fight." Kyle said. "Take it into the ring." The scientist ordered. We headed up to the ring. Sarah followed us. "Do you guys usually fight?" She asked. "Oh yeah, tons, as training." I answered.

      Kyle attacked first and I got hit in the face. I tried teleporting behind him. I somehow forgot I had new powers and ended up running into him really and bouncing off with about the same force done to me. We both fell over. We got up for round two. I attacked first with a run and punch. Kyle might as well have gotten clotheslined. Kyle got back up and ran at me. I dodged. I tried to see what replaced my blast power. When I did a blast spell what game up was a glowing. ball that appeared in my hand. I threw it at Kyle. He fell over and called the battle. I didn't throw it that hard.

     "I felt like a fireball blew up in front of me." He said, describing the fireball attack. "I guess you got your mind blown." I said, failing to make a joke. No one laughed. "Comedy isn't your thing Zack." Sarah said. I forgot she was even there. I laughed. "Darkened escapee!" "Get him!" Fire, fire!" We could hear voices in the front of the compound. "Zack?" Kyle said. "My pleasure. Gives me a chance to test out my new abilities." I said. I tried summoning a sword. I got a white energy sword with a gold tint. I also saw my magic armor with the same tint.

     I used my run ability, but then I realized it was using up magic a lot quicker than I expected. I was close enough I could catch up. He almost got to the cruise ship when I tackled him into the water. I have no experience when fighting underwater so this might be a problem. He tried to hit me with his sword. I swam up and out of the way. I summoned some fireballs and through them at him. He swam up to try and hit me with his sword again. I swam up again. "Novice." I taunted. He charged at me. I swam under him and hit him with a fireball. He got knocked up out of the sea. I took the unconscious darkened back onto shore. The  guards can do the rest.

     "That was cool." Sarah said. "These next few years are going to be awesome." Kyle said. "Yeah, once we exterminate the darkened." I said. "Oh come on, have some fun Zack, the end of the world isn't today, not in maybe 5 years. They're kind of weak. Learn to live a little, have some fun ya know?" Sarah said.  "I did just kill their leader, good point, I'll keep that in mind, thanks." I said. Sarah just smiled. When was the last time I smiled? This might as well have been it. I smiled back at Sarah.

     "So Zack, I think you deserve a break." Kyle said. "You work way too hard, so I gathered some money and you can come back whenever you want so long as its not after 4 years and 310 days, k?" I was shocked and surprised at the news. I'm getting a break. I jumped up and punch the air. "Yes!" I exclaimed. "I also thought you might want Sarah to come along so she's going with you. You could probably teach her how our military works to her." Kyle said. I didn't mind.

    I didn't like or dislike Sarah in any way, besides her lack of knowledge when it comes to military, but that's just me. I was just happy I'm finally getting a break, and Sarah said she didn't like the compound we were at anyways, so she'll probably be glad to be out of there as well. This is what I could call, a blessing. "Boat leaves tomorrow." Kyle said. "Be there, or you'll be staying with us." He was using his captain voice again. I didn't care. There still was one thing to do.

     "Hey, Kyle?" I called. "Yeah?" he said, giving me his attention. "I'm sorry for treating you like crap after I killed John. Do you forgive me?" I asked. "Don't worry about it. I honestly thought you'd just turned into a soldier, I kind of liked that." He said. I smiled, then headed back to my room.