Chapter 9: The Rebel Base

"When you got captured the rebels found and rescued me." Sarah explained. "They said that they were planning an attack soon and I could help. Meanwhile I decided to screw around with a rocket. I felt like I'd be too late if I tried to save you when they were planning an attack and something told me that you weren't where they expected you to be. I asked if I could go on a one man mission into the tower that we destroyed and save you. They gave me a suit and I headed out. Zack are you even listening?"

      "Of course I was listening." I had just ta ken my phone out to call Kyle so I could see why she would assume that. "Okay, recap what I just told you." She ordered. "You were found by the rebels soon after I was captured, then because of your instincts you asked to go on a solo mission and saved me." Kyle picked up the phone as soon I finished talking. "Hey Kyle. Great, how are you? Well, anyways we found some rebels and I thought maybe the Light Bringers might want to get involved. Uh-huh. Oh. Okay. Alright, see you later." I hung up. "What'd he say?" Sarah asked. "He said the Light Bringers are scientists, not fighters, so they're not going to help us fight, but Kyle's going to be in town within a week." I answered. We walked silently for a little"So, how long was I in that prison tower?" I asked.

     "Four weeks." Sarah answered. "Four weeks? I was knocked for four weeks?" I said, thinking out loud. I sounded worried. "What happened while I was out?" I asked. "Nothing really, a few small insignificant battles here and there, but other than that it stayed quiet." Sarah answered. "Wait a minute... knocked out? you were knocked out until I saved you?" Sarah asked. "Yeah, I woke up when the Darkened took me to my execution and you showed up in the nick of time. I owe you my life."

     "Zack, you don't owe me anything. We're friends, friends stick out for each other. You do well to remember that." Sarah said. I stayed quiet. "Well, we're almost there." Sarah said. "Good, I miss having an automobile." I said. "Drive an automobile around here and you get vaporized." Sarah joked. We both laughed. We kept laughing until we heard someone yell. "Hands up! We have ten guns pointed in your direction right now!" "Hold your fire. I'm Sarah Kellens, I'm with the guardian of light." Sarah said calmly. "Prove it!" One voice yelled. "Zack, can you cast a spell into the air." Sarah whispered into my ear. I felt like this was an opportunity to show off.

     I super-ran up the building to my right and placed my sword in the wall. I stopped super-running and landed on the sword. I took a fireball and shot it below me, using the blast to knock me in midair. I then got a fist ready and slammed it hard into the ground, breaking the road slightly. The armor I used to protect my fist went away. "Need more proof?" I asked with a cocky tone. "Show off." Sarah laughed. "Yeah, how about beating up the Darkened you just attracted." One of the guys said as they opened fire down the road. I looked over to see five Darkened coming my way.

      I super-ran up to one and knocked him down. Another one came behind me. I threw him at the Darkened in front of me to knock them both down. The next two were kind of far away, but on opposite sides. They shot two magic bombs at me. I ducked. The Darkened hit each other. I went over and stabbed each one of them. That last part I felt bad for, but the rest was fun. "How about now?" I said with a cocky tone again. "Let him in." I heard one of the voices say. Sarah nudged me and gestured for me to follow her. I walked into a building with a few people spread out here and there.

     "Welcome to the main rebel base." Someone came up to me and shook my hand. "I'm Andrew." The man said. Sometimes in life you question your life up to the point you're at right now, this is one of those moments for me. "There's not much to show, and the rebels tend to hang out wherever they want when not fighting. Feel free to explore." Andrew said. I just stood there, a little puzzled. "Oh! what's your name, by the way?" Andrew asked. "Zack Lore. I'll look around a bit." I said.

     "Welp, I'm headed to the treehouse. Sarah, want to come along?" I asked. Sarah nodded. When we got to the treehouse we were met with a nice surprise. "Kyle? What are you doing here so early?" I asked. Sarah seemed happy. "Thought I would drop by early since it would probably take forever to find you. I didn't think it would be this quick. Actually, when you called I was in the D.O.D.C. base to see what was left." He said. I stayed quiet. D.O.D.C. was a sad subject to bring up around Kyle and me since we had both seen them die off.

      "I've set up some things for me in the treehouse you guys seem to have been sleeping in. I hope you don't mind." Kyle said. "You're my boss." I said, laughing. Kyle laughed and Sarah joined too. It felt good to laugh while in a war. "Speaking of jobs, because of some, past events, I'm technically the leader of the D.O.D.C. now." Kyle said. His smile dropped while saying that, then lifted up again. "Zack, you're promoted to captain of the D.Cs, not that there's anyone to command but I thought that little fact might make you happy." Kyle said. I chuckled a little. "It's good to see you again. Friends?" I said, sticking out my hand. Kyle just looked at me. I heard Sarah's hand slap her face. "You still have a lot to learn." She said. We all laughed.

     That night I snuck out into the forest to a very specific spot. Ashley's grave. "I know it's pointless to talk to you but, I feel like I need your guide. If I failed to protect you then how do I succeed in protecting Sarah. Ash, if you can somehow here me, please forgive me and aid me in protecting Sarah. Even if you don't aid me, at least forgive me. Same thing for Jack, please?" I said. I felt a tear roll down my cheek from the painful memories in this part of the forest. At the same time I felt like an idiot.

      "Hiding in the trees looking at the stars, as usual." Kyle said as he climbed next to me." We both stayed quiet for a while, then I decided to speak. "Kyle, our friendship has been shaky lately, we've both been kind of a jerk to each other. Do you think you can forgive me?" "Of course, that's what friends do, you visited Ashley's grave, didn't you?" Kyle said. I nodded, looking down. We both stayed quiet. Sarah joined us up on the tree. "Cool, we're all here." I said. "I don't know about you guys, but I'm looking at a Mr. and Mrs. Lore." Kyle said, looking at me and Sarah. "Very funny Kyle." I said. Sarah and Kyle burst into laughter. "Hey, look in the sky!" Sarah said, pointing up. We all saw a shooting star, zipping across the sky. "Whoa-ho." Kyle said. "That was cool." Sarah said. "The chances of seeing that are pretty low, that's the first time I've seen one." I said. "Yeah, and you're still an astronomer nerd." Kyle said. I rolled my eyes and we all started laughing.

     We headed back into the treehouse to get some rest. That night I remembered being with John. Zack, we're brothers, we stick out for each other.  That's what he always said. A lot of the 'that's what friends do' stuff today was a lot of stuff John had said. I went to sleep that night with happy memories of John when I was just 13.