Chapter 12: Darkened's end

"You ready?" Andrew whispered to me. I nodded. As soon as we ran around the corner of this building we'd be in sight of the Darkened. Sarah and I had to hide in the crowd. One of the rebels looked at me and raised his hand. The rebel next to me did the same. We waited. Their hands went down and we charged. The first few people in front were the unlucky ones to die. Sarah and I ran around the corner out of the Darkened's view. I saw Kyle shooting from inside the crowd. "Zack! Follow me! I know this place!" Sarah said. I followed her around a few turns We ran into two Darkened.

     Sarah popped the first one with her pistol and I quickly stabbed the other, we got through without a problem. While we were running I asked Sarah a few questions. "Why is your pistol able to get through that Darkened armor, anyways?" I asked. "It's enchanted, some light was left over when you became the guardian of light so they put it on Kyle's rifle and my pistol. "How do you know this place." I asked. "Three years ago I had an internship at the building we're raiding." She answered. We reached the back door. I bashed it open and saw three Darkened.

      "I heard something about the guardian's train-Good god, the Guardian of Light's right there!" One exclaimed. I stabbed the first one and threw the second one into the third one. Sarah shot them both. We took the stairs up to the top floor. We would be noticed on the elevator. The door was sealed shut. I slashed it open, nothing a sword of energy couldn't handle. I looked around but didn't see Syracuse. Instead I saw about thirty Darkened working on a machine in the center. I didn't have time for this. I summoned I fireball and took them all out at once. Sarah shot as many as she could before she ran out of ammo. I counted ten shots. She reloaded and shot 13 more, 23 shots. The Darkened got up and put up a bit of a fight.

     Four were on me. I blocked a few of there swords and pushed one back. I stabbed the one trying to sneak up behind me just to my right. I took the one in front of me and threw him at the Darkened behind me. I stabbed them both. Sarah seems to have finished with her group and is aiming at the Darkened I had my sword drawn with. "Check mate bud." I said, warning him to back off.

     "Alright, where's Syracuse?" I said, holding my sword to the Darkened throat. "Who the heck is Syracuse?" The Darkened said. "Your leader." I said, pressing my sword closer to his throat. "The darkness? You'll never find him." The Darkened said. "Tell me where he is or I'll cut your throat." I threatened. "Zack, that's a little harsh." I heard Sarah say. "It's the military what happens, happens. Sometimes it's by choice, sometimes, it's orders, sometimes it's fate." I said. I pressed my sword close enough to the pint where I saw a slight drop of blood come off the Darkened's neck. "I swear to god I don't know!" He said.

     "Fine, you can live by telling me what this machine does." I said. "Why would I?" "Because otherwise I'll kill you, slowly." I threatened, stepping on his foot. "Okay! Okay! It transports black magic all over the world! We've already started it. I don't know how to stop it!" he screamed.  "So it creates Darkened." I said. "Yes! It'll turn everyone into a Darkened! please, I've given you everything! Let me go!" The Darkened screamed. "Sure." I backed off. Right as the Darkened tried to run I sliced him in half. "That was harsh." Sarah said. "Again, military." I said. "I believe you're looking for someone." Someone had entered the room. That someone was, I turned around to see, Syracuse. I readied my sword. "Zack you should know better. You can't kill me." He said.

     "I don't need to kill you, I'll just slice your machine." I said. "Zack, you do that and you'll accomplish nothing, it'll just explode." I motioned at Sarah. "I feel like being clever." I said. I was stalling. "You know, what if the machine, when it blew up, didn't just blow up, but killed magic all around the world?" I said "Why would you want to do that Heracles?" Syracuse said. "Don't call me Heracles, I'm not Heracles, he's stupid." I said. Syracuse laughed. "Why?" He said. "He didn't see the core problem." I said. "What is the core problem?" Syracuse asked. "Greed, it's been the problem for sooo many years. If we were to remove something entirely, no one would want it. Therefore, greed would not be a problem."

     "You're insane." Syracuse said. "excellent, because it would be quite the miracle if the world was saved by someone who has gone mad." I said, then smiled. "You know it's not cool to play god." Syracuse said. "Says the guy who's been playing god the whole time. Now, let me tell you one more story, I've seen  this one come true. Even a man of the purest heart is not completely pure. A little bit of Darkness within that heart can grow, to a size large enough to turn his heart dark. That's growing in me right now, no, it's a different darkness." I said. "What would that be?" Syracuse asked. "Insanity, now would you like another story?" I asked. "Fine. let me hear your words before I kill you, and make everyone a Darkened, I'll be the true god this time."