33

"That long night is following you, it seems like it's just flowing. This time is following you, it seems like it's clouding over..."

~Love Is Not Over-BTS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They walked around the neighborhood all that night, going places Jungkook liked to go, or even places he didn't so much, either asking about him or calling his name. Jimin had already tried calling him on his phone. He didn't answer, it went straight to voicemail, every single time he called.

Taehyung could start to see Jimin almost getting angry. He was sad, wondering where his best friend was, but also angry that anyone would make him feel like he wasn't worth anything enough to run away.

It's killing Jimin inside...

After checking at the river Jungkook liked to sit by, Taehyung cleared his throat. "He's done this before?" He asked, his voice coming out deep from not using it except to call Jungkook's name this entire time during the search. When Jimin nodded, he continued. "Where was he last time?"

Jimin took a deep breath. "He was...here." He said, looking out at the river.

The water looking black like an abyss in the dark with only the flashlight Taehyung held in his hand to make any light of the body of water. The trees on either side looked like they housed all manner of animals, but the trees were too thick and close together to actually see anything beyond them. A little bit over to the left was a bridge, a single lamppost on it, the light off because it was at least 4AM now. The only other thing leading to the river was the path they'd taken.

Taehyung looked down at the rushing water, seeing how very easy it was to slip and fall in. Jungkook, please, Don't let it be that you fell in.

"I remember that too," Jimin said, faraway in tone. "He was sitting here, completely intoxicated, I don't think he knew what he was saying, but I remember him crying all the way through the ride home." Jimin sat down, really more collapsing, but sitting right by the shore. "It was Jae-hwa's fault then."

Taehyung licked his lips. He had noticed the little things she said that set Jungkook off. How she would single Jungkook out at least once whenever he was there and say something to make him angry. And He got the feeling he knew why it made him so angry, it was similar to that feeling that Jungkook was familiar, That somewhere, he'd heard the name, and the voice before. I'm sure, I know him, but from where? How?

Jimin fiddled with his phone, calling Jungkook's number again, probably only to get voicemail again, And Taehyung realized how sad and lonely Jungkook must feel, and how much he hid that behind a gummy smile.

~~~

They searched into the morning, Mrs. Park driving around and Taehyung and Jimin walking. At about 7AM Mrs. Park called Jimin and suggested the take a break, which Jimin wasn't happy with, because they hadn't found any sign of Jungkook anywhere. But even Jimin had to admit, it was hard to keep their eyes open, which wasn't helping the search, so Mrs. Park came to pick them up at a grocery store parking lot where he and Jimin had decided to sit for a while.

When they got in the car, they found Kyung-mi passed out in the front seat, and Mrs. Park on what looked like her fourth cup of coffee. When Taehyung and Jimin climbed into the backseat, she cleared her throat. "It's okay, sweetie, we'll find him, I'm sure he's okay."

Jimin didn't say anything, just shook his head.

Taehyung swallowed. As much as he wanted to fall asleep, he couldn't imagine doing so while Jimin was so upset. It felt like Jimin was one word away from punching someone. And Taehyung didn't want to be the one he took his frustration and anger out on.