Chapter 6 - The Only Exception

Phil's POV

It's been a few weeks. I've finally can get out of this wheelchair. Dan and I go to the hospital and talk to my doctor.

"You'll be fine to start walking again." He smiled and took my wheelchair away.

As we arrived back to our apartment we walked into the living room. This was probably more exciting for me than it should be...

"We should go somewhere... On foot though." I say, grinning at Dan.

He just laughs and gets up to put his coat back on, handing me mine as well. "Where to?" He asks.

"Park?"

"Okie dokie." He smiles and opens the door. "After you." You're such a gentleman, Dan.

We got to the park and I sat on the grass, patting the ground next to me to have Dan sit there.

I'm gonna tell him how I feel. He said 'I love you'... That must mean something, right? Maybe he'll feel the same... Lucas is gone and there's nothing stopping me from telling him this time.

"Hey--uhh--Dan?" I stutter. "I have to tell you something."

"Are you alright?" He asks, looking over at me. His chocolate brown eyes stare right into mine.

"I'm fine, but I need to tell you this. I'm not sure how you're gonna take it."

Dan's POV

I was worried... What was he gonna say? My heart was ready to beat right out of my chest.

"I--I lo--" He stopped.

"Please tell me," I put my hand on his knee.

"I love you, Dan." He began. "Like more than a friend. I've felt this way for a while, but I never knew when to tell you or how... I figured I should just spit it out already..."

He got quiet and looked down at his lap. Do I love him like that? He's always been there for me... I had a crush on him a while back when we first met, but I never thought he'd like me back so I just forgot about it...

"Please say something before I die." I heard Phil say quietly.

"I--um, well I don't think I'm ready to start another relationship, Phil. I'm sorry." I couldn't bear to hurt him, but I knew that had to have done some damage.

"Oh, okay then." He sounded hurt. I couldn't stand that voice.

"Phil, I--"

"No, it's fine." He got up and darted towards the woods beside the park. I quickly got up to run after him. I got to the edge of the forest and didn't see him anywhere.

"PHIL! PLEASE!" I yelled in every direction.

I went deeper into the dark woods and stood still, letting tears slip down my cheeks. I heard a branch snap and snapped my head in the sound's direction. "Ph-Phil? Is that you?"

I saw my black haired friend emerge from behind a big tree. "Sorry," he said. But what was he sorry for? I'm the one who should be sorry.

"Don't be," more tears let their way down my cheeks. "Please don't leave me." I walked quickly towards him and tightly hugged him. I only let go to look in his eyes. They too were filled with tears. My hands were still on his waist. I pulled him closer and put my lips on his. When I kissed Phil, I knew I loved him. The crush hadn't gone away. It was always just hidden from view.

We pulled away and Phil opened his mouth to say something, but shut it before letting any words out.

"I do honestly love you. I didn't think I was ready for another relationship, but if there's an exception, that would be you. I know you would never hurt me." I hugged him tightly again.

"Do you really mean it?"

"Of course I do," I smiled. We loosened our embrace and I took his hand in mine. "Let's go home."

It was getting really dark. We got into our apartment. We both sat on the couch. "There's something I still need to ask you." I said, turning to Phil.

"Yeah?"

"Will you be my boyfriend?"

"I'd be honored."

______________________________________________________________

A/N: Sorry for such a short chapter! I've got a regents today for Biology, but I figured I'd type up a chapter!