Chapter Six: Vampiric mother figure

I had sat in the large flat sill of the window and had my legs dangling out of it, my long dress blowing gently in the wind. I had fallen asleep clutching my hot hand that had returned to its regular pale complexion as I slept.

I was awoken by a soft voice whispering my name once or twice. I opened my eyes to see Dracula leaning against the wall inside, smiling at me.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

I blinked sluggishly and sat up straight, turning slightly to face him. I noticed that it was still dark out so I guess I was not asleep for long.

"Yes" I said, not meaning it.

I guess I hadn't conveyed myself to well because Dracula reassured me that everything was okay.

"Aleera is fine. It was not your doing, someone just went through a lot of trouble to make sure you couldn't be traced back to your family." He said.

I felt a little better but not enough to lift my sorrows. I stared blankly at the black starless sky.

"But what happened?" I asked softly, "Why didn't I know about this?"

Dracula slid closer to me, "Nothing," He reassured me, "You did nothing, it was not your fault that that happened, just the magic, inside you, protecting you"

I had been looking down at my twiddling fingers but I looked up at him slightly and asked again,

"But why didn't I know?"

Dracula sat down on the ledge and sighed then looking up at me with a serious face.

"Someone, is trying very hard to keep you hidden"

"Hidden from what?"

"That, I do not know" He said, "yourself perhaps or someone else"

He stood as he spoke, then took a few steps before turning around slightly and extending his hand back towards me and saying,
"But we'll find out soon enough"

It felt like he had made a promise to me, that he would keep no matter what the cost. I wondered if it felt like a promise to him as I carefully pulled my legs over the ledge and hopped down from the window, I was a little to short to reach and had to hop a little to sit on the sill. I hurried over to Dracula, my dress dragging behind, took his hand and we went downstairs.

Over the past little while I noticed that Dracula had started to act kindly and loving towards me but it was subtle and it seemed to me that I was growing on him a bit. Even though he said he could never love, but I saw it.

We found Aleera standing perfectly fine with Verona.

"Are you okay, Aleera?" I asked her as I came into the room.

"I'm fine" She smiled, her purple eyes glimmered.

I smiled back thankful that she showed no physical damages and my magic on Verona hadn't made any horrific side affects.
I had read once that all magic as a price but didn't know whether to believe it of not, I don't.

I turned back to Dracula, thinking of his lasts words to me.

"But how will we find out?" I asked, "If we can't find out thorough me"

Dracula came to closer to us three and answered, "Time will show us my dear, but now we must rest for the sun is about to rise"

I looked out one of the large windows and saw the faint glow of sunlight, around the edges of trees.

I took Aleera's hand and gently pulled her towards the Blackness, her and I sunk into it, the dark veil covering us as Verona and Dracula laid back into their coffins.

As we slept, Van Helsing and Anna travelled towards the castle. Little did they know that they were in for something big, there was a storm coming.