Part 9

Rook sat alone in the tavern, nursing a mug of ale. He lifted the iron flagon to his lips and let the cool liquid flow down his throat. He shuddered. Max brewed a strong ale. Just the way Rook liked it. He looked around the wooden cabin. Max was at the bar, an apron tied around his waist. He was pouring more ale for Tucker. That was his eighth that night. Rook hoped he would be fit for duty in the morning. Rook's eyes drifted to where Elle was sitting. She was drinking, laughing and playing cards just like any other man. He wondered what the men would think if they knew. Some of the older men treated her like a son, she looked so young. Rook chuckled quietly to himself, imagining the expression on their faces if they found out they had a daughter. She always had her hat on though, she refused to cut her hair short. Rook thought it was better that way anyways. Her face was not boyish at all. 

Rook scanned the room. All of the men from his company were there. He spotted Sammy, the burly red head, arm wrestling Jack, one of the biggest men Rook knew. He saw Grim sitting in the corner, holding an empty flagon and muttering to himself.  He tried to find the face of every man under his command. He wondered how many he would lose on the mission. He knew it was inevitable but he hated it. On the first deployment they had lost five men to a gunpowder trap. The keg of powder was rigged to explode while they investigated. That had hit Rook hard. If he had not ordered them to search the barn they would have been safe. He should have been there with them. He imagined loosing Elle, and that nearly brought tears to his eyes. He would keep her safe, he promised himself. 

He took another swig of the ale. It felt good going down. He eased back against the wall and let out a sigh. He watched the card game going on across the room. Tucker was playing, as always, with Flint, Elle, and Tonk. Tonk was the young boy with golden hair. He had been the first to step forward both times. Rook respected his courage. The kid couldn't play though. As everyone played his cards he laughed, knowing he lost even before the cards went down.  Tucker cheered and pulled the pot in close to him. Rook knew he would have none of by the end of the night. Tucker always seemed to find a way to lose it all. 

Rook's eyes moved to the other side of the room. The twins were playing darts with Garrett, the company sniper. No one had as good a shot as him. He was also the skinniest man in the company as well. Skinnier then Elle even. Even playing darts he was a sharpshooter. He nailed the bull's eye like it was nothing.

Rook drank more from his mug. He felt relaxed, just sitting there in the tavern, listening to the boisterous men, watching them. He didn't need to participate. He just wanted to stop worrying for a few minutes. He began to close his eyes. He only got a few minutes of peace before he felt someone sit down next to him.

He looked to his right and saw Flint sitting down, holding a bag of coins atop the table. He looked back to the card table. Tucker was having a fit. Good ol' Tucker. Rook laughed softly. Flint looked at him and smiled wryly. 

"Boy should learn when to take the money and get out," Flint said, laughing. His face was flushed red from all of the drink. 

Rook just nodded. He didn't feel like talking. 

"Don't worry about the mission Rook. What happens, happens. You can't control everything," Flint said, reassuringly. He always seemed to know that Rook was thinking. 

"I will try as hard as I can to control everything," Rook said jokingly. "I'm not going to lose a single one," His tone turned serious.

Flint just nodded. He knew there was nothing else to say.

***

Rook stood on the roof of the barracks. He took deep breaths of the cool night air, letting it cool his lungs. He was staring up at the night sky, watching the stars. It was a clear night, perfect for finding the constellations. Farian, the hunter, holding his bow above his head. Clara, the princess, on her jewelled throne. He stood there a while, just letting the night calm his senses. He didn't hear the footsteps behind him.

He felt a hand touch his shoulder. He flinched and Elle began to laugh.

"My, you're jumpy. Afraid a wildman was going to snatch you up?" She said mockingly.

He sent her a glare that could burn through steel. "You can't just sneak up on people like that, if you didn't laugh you could have gotten hurt,"

"You, hurt me? You wouldn't dare," she said with a wry tone.

Rook didn't respond. He just ignored her and continued to gaze at the stars.

"Okay, I'm sorry. Truly. I was just trying to have a bit of fun," she said apologetically.

"Not all of us can afford the luxury," he snapped back.

She wrapped her arm around his shoulder. "What's troubling you Rook?"

He sighed heavily. "It's just nerves before the mission. Being a commanding officer is stressful. You grunts may not know it but I care about you guys. Losing any of you just tears at my soul,"

"Of course we know it ," She looked him in the eye, "You're a good captain . . .  don't ever doubt yourself,"

Rook nodded. "Thank you," he whispered softly.

She embraced him tightly. He wrapped his arms around her back. She buried her face into his chest. Her hair was down, and it tickled his neck. They stood there like that for a while, and Rook wondered if the hug was more for him or for her. Rook felt her arms loosen. He let go. 

"Try and get some sleep, please?" She said kindly. 

"Alright," Rook said softly.

"Goodnight," Elle said, walking away.