Part 12

Rook left a purse of gold coins with the innkeeper as he and his men left to continue on their journey. The men selected as scouts ran ahead to create a perimeter. If they should see anything, they would return to inform Rook and his officers. Rook was truly worried about entering the wild territory. It wasn't fully developed yet and rogue bands of wildmen stalked the forests, waiting to catch weary travellers unawares. He wasn't interested in any delays or fights that would be of no use to their mission. 

The Imperial Highway quickly became a dirt road as the band of men entered the furthest reaches of the Empire. The forest around them was thick and wild, a reflection of the territory. The sounds of birds calling to each other and the leaves rustling in the breeze calmed Rook slightly. He was still wound up tightly after the events from the night before. He still wondered about the silver eagle clasp that all four of the men wore. He knew it couldn't have been purely fashion, there had to be more to it then that. 

He thought about their hate towards The Hand. The way the man had spat the words out made Rook wonder if they were just disgruntled townsfolk. He doubted it, no one would outright attack any member of The Hand simply out of anger. Everyone knew the stories that were told of them. The stuff of nightmares spread by agents of the Chancellor to keep The Hand a mystery to common folk. One of the only truths told about them was the fact that anyone could join and leave their past behind. Rook wondered if the men were rebels or wished to join the rebel ranks.

Rook put it aside, he knew he would drive himself crazy looking for connections that didn't exist. Instead he focused on the road ahead. The trodden earth had ruts from carriages that use the road that made walking on the edges difficult. The only thing keeping the forest from reclaiming the road was heavy use. It was the only road that lead straight to the capital and was essential for trade with outlying cities and farms. Rook noticed the weeds growing along the edges of the road.

"If the rebellion doesn't end soon there will be more than weeds trying to grow here," He muttered to himself. 

"Hmm," Tucker grunted, having heard Rook's words.

Rook stared into the forest, looking for something to break the monotony of the march. He watched the trees and the ferns in the forest. An endless sea of green foliage veiled the depths of the woods. He saw a glimmer behind the leaves. He squinted, trying to make out what he was seeing. He thought he was staring into something's eyes as he got the feeling he was being watched. He looked away for a moment. When he looked back the eyes were gone. The leaves were swaying back and forth where they had just been.

"Did you see that?" He asked Tucker.

"See what?"

"Eyes, behind the leaves there," Rook said, pointing.

"I didn't see anything. It was probably a deer. There's nothing to be afraid of Rook. The forest is harmless," 

"This forest hides many a dark thing Tucker. Caution is always needed when walking these roads," 

Tucker shook his head, "You worry to much Rook, you'll be grey by the time you're thirty,"

Before Rook could respond a man burst from the forest, panting. As he ran to Rook he tripped and fell forward. Rook put out his hand and helped him up.

"Sir . . . wildmen . . . coming," The man said, trying to catch his breath.

"Are you certain?" Rook asked.

"Yes, sir. I saw them, they are charging towards us. They will be upon us in moments,"

"Okay," Rook sighed. "Tucker, alert the men. Have them ready to fight,"

Tucker nodded and pulled his horn from his belt. He blew into it and released two quick blasts.

"Formations, men! Wildmen are coming!"

The men only had a few seconds to ready themselves before the wildmen emerged from the forest, waving clubs and crude swords. They were dressed in dirty rags and all had ragged beards. They looked like very strong beggars. They were hooting and blowing on horns as they charged at Rook and his men.

Rook drew his machete and waited for the first wave to enter his reach. There was a screech of metal as the men behind him drew their swords and readied their carbines. Rook heard Flint yell "Fire," and a salvo of rounds flew into the advancing enemy. Many fell but the others just kept going. 

Rook swung his blade and slashed open his enemy's gut as he got into range. The man crumpled, holding the wound. Rook spun to parry and enemy's blow and finished him off with a slash to the throat. Blood flew and spattered his clothing. 

The sound of gunfire filled the air as another salvo of bullets were launched at the riflemen's marks. Rook continued slashing and hacking at the wildmen foolish enough to engage him. He noticed that the sounds of gunfire were replaced by the clashing of swords and the thuds of maces and hammers.  

Rook dispatched another enemy and watched as Flint connected his hammer with the chest of his enemy. The man was launched backward and fell the the ground hard. He didn't get back up. Flint spun and blocked the blow from a mace with the shaft of his hammer and countered by ramming the butt end of the handle into the man's chin. He followed up with a swipe to his legs. The man fell to the ground, his legs probably broken. Flint finished him with a downward arc into the man's skull.

Tucker was fighting the three men surrounding him. He kept them back with huge arcs from his greatsword. One man got too close and had his gut sliced open, his innards spilling out. The other two men watched in horror as their companion fell to the ground screaming. Using their hesitation, Tucker quickly ended their lives as well.

Rook watched the battle around him. His men were winning, even though they were outnumbered their skill kept them alive. Another wildman came charging at him. He quickly killed him with a few slashes from his machete. Rook scanned the battle for Elle, he needed to be sure that she was safe. He found her fighting a man three times her size. The man swung his sword at her and she dodged every time. She was waiting for an opening to thrust her sabre into. The opportunity soon presented itself. The man raised his arms to make a downward slash at her. Before he could swing down she thrust her blade into his neck. His face contorted as she continued to drive her sword through his neck. He dropped his blade and his body fell limp with her sword still stuck in his neck. She couldn't pull it out in time and the blade was ripped from her hands due to the man's extreme weight. She stooped to pull the blade out.

Rook continued to watch as a man started to charge at Elle, his club held high above his head. Rook began to sprint towards her yelling her name.

"Elle! Elle! BEHIND YOU!" He screamed. But he was too late. She looked up at him just as the man's club connected with her body. She was thrown into the air and landed hard with a thud. Her body rolled over and stopped moving. A rage filled Rook and he began to sprint faster.

Rook charged at the man, roaring the whole way. Before the man knew what was happening his head was detached from his body. The headless corpse fell to the ground.

The battle around Rook began to wind down. The wildmen realized that they weren't going to win and began to retreat. 

"Should we run them down?" Tucker asked, blood trickling down the side of his face from a cut on his forehead.

"No, let them run. We need to find a place to camp and tend to the wounded," He said solemnly, watching Elle's body for a sign of life. 

"Who's the girl?" Tucker asked. Noticing Elle's cap had fallen from her head, exposing her long brown hair.

Rook sighed. He knew the charade would only have lasted so long. "It's Everett. I'll explain later." He said, walking over to Elle's body. 

He stooped down and pushed back her hair. He put his hand under her neck, feeling for a pulse. His heart lifted as he felt a faint murmur. It was weak, but it was there. He cradled her in his arms and began to continue down the road.

"Get everyone organized. We need to make camp as soon as possible. Oh and Tucker, what was that about having nothing to fear?" He called back to Tucker.

Tucker just nodded in response. For once, he had nothing to say.