Part 20

Rook stood on the white walls of the Capital. His cloak was billowing in the wind behind him. A company of rifle men stood around him, barrels aimed at the Imperial HIghway and the forest surrounding it. Tucker and his shock troops waited behind the main gate. They would charge out once a weakness in the rebel ranks was found. Flint was further down the wall and had his own battalion of riflemen. The majority of the army was set up in defensive positions along the wall. The battle would be a defensive game, especially during the siege. To rush out and meet the rebels on the battlefield would be suicide.

Other shock battalions were assembled behind other gates into the city. They would be the first offence if an advance could be made but they would also be the first defence if a gate was breached. The soldiers waited, mounted on their horses, lances, spears, and greatswords in hand. The battalions were composed of the bravest and fiercest men in the Imperial Guard and a few men The Hand could spare. Those men would never retreat and would fight until their last breath. Rook was glad they were on his side.

Rook's heart quickened when he heard the rebel drums beating in the distance. He watched the road closely. Soon, soldiers began to materialize on the horizon. They're figures grew in size until they were in formation about half a mile from the great walls. The drums beat loudly, a feeble ploy to break their nerve. It wouldn't work on Rook, he was accustomed to battle, but he was not without his worries. He could see cannons lining up behind the main formation of men. They were the greatest threat. He hoped their marksmen could pick off the cannon operators.

Rook also spotted battering rams, if those were able to get close to the gates, they would make quick work of them, as long as there were still men to operate it. He briefed the men behind him on what to prioritize when shooting. He didn't want ammo wasted on grunts when the real threats were advancing upon them.

He examined the formations of rebel soldiers. The bulk of the rebel horde was made up of farmers and militia, most likely donning their armour and weapons for the first time. The real threat was the Imperial deserters. They had real combat training and experience. They would be the most dangerous. For now, nothing was more threatening than the cannons but if the walls of gates were breached the melee would be horrendous. Fighting in the Capital's narrow streets and dark alleys would be an impossible battle against the huge rebel force. Even if the Imperials had more skill they would tire eventually and when men tire, they make mistakes. Rook new the battle had to be won before the rebels broke in, otherwise there would be no hope.

Both sides just stood still for a while, watching their enemies and waiting. The attack order didn't come for some time, the rebels weren't even given a chance to surrender. They knew they would never submit. The rebel cannons tilted upwards, taking aim. Rebel riflemen raised their barrels, ready to fire. Rook ordered his men to take aim as well. The first salvo would be the biggest. Rook could hear the rattle of gears as the cannon emplacements along the wall swivelled to find targets. Rook hoped they could take out the rebel cannons before they got a chance to do any damage.

It seemed like an eternity before the guns fired, all at once. The boom that erupted from the barrels was deafening and the smoke was thick enough to sting a man's eyes. After Rook fired his carbine he took cover behind the battlements as the rebels unleashed their salvo of bullets. He felt the small impacts as the shots hit the wall and left small pockmarks. He peeked up just in time to watch a rebel cannon fire. The cannonball soared through the air and smashed into a group of men standing on the wall. A spray of blood and mangled body parts flew into the air as the ball ripped through the soldiers. 

The friendly cannons fired, tearing holes in the rebel ranks. For every man that fell there was another to take his place on the front line. That was not good for morale. There was no back up on Rook's side. That made him think of his brothers. He hoped that they would arrive in time to help fight and not to pick through the corpses. He had no doubt they would get there. It was not like them to betray their homeland, even if the odds were not in their favour.