Part 17

Rook awoke to the sounds of commotion outside his tent. He jumped out of his bedroll and dressed himself quickly. He exited the tent a calm and collected man. He spotted Flint and a man with an eagle clasp in a heated argument. Tucker was standing in the background. He looked cross.

"Why are you camped so far from the city? You know Dannison ordered everyone behind the walls!" The man yelled in Flint's face.

"What does it matter? We are able to get inside today!" Flint growled back, clearly losing his patience. Rook wondered how long this had been going for.

"Where is your commanding officer? I doubt you are the one in charge here," As the man said that Flint's face scrunched into a scowl. He was trying to hold himself back. Tucker put a hand on his shoulder and whispered into his ear,

"He's not worth it, you know that," Tucker as the voice of reason, not something you see everyday.

Rook strode forward, wanting to end this argument as fast as possible.

"I am the commanding officer here, what is your issue?" Rook stated.

"I am Captain Ty Renwood, and your outift is camped outside the city when you were supposed to be inside yesterday!"

"Forgive me then for my men were tired and could not go further. We had run into The Hand while burning down the village we were ordered to attack," Rook began. "Night fell and wounds needed to be treated, so I ordered that camp be made,"

"Hmm . . . well . . . that is understandable. Very well, you will enter the city at once. Lord Dannison awaits your report. He'd like to know if the chancellor's spy is dead,"

"Yes of course, do you mind waiting for us to pack up or must we depart immediately?"

"It's alright, the men have to get in anyways. It would be easier with their officer. Without leadership the men can get . . . unruly," Ty said. "I will return to the city and await your arrival. There are matters I must attend too in the meantime.

Maybe rebel men are unruly, Rook thought. He turned away from Ty and addressed Flint and Tucker. He told them to rouse whoever was still asleep and get the camp packed.  Rook watched as Ty mounted his horse and galloped off.

He watched the camp fold itself into packs and bags as men ran around it. Pretty good for a bunch of unruly men, he thought. He watched Elle emerge from his tent, still sleepy eyed. She sauntered over too him, still giving him that alluring gaze.

He shook his head. It was time for business. He was the captain and she was a soldier. There would be another time for personal feelings, he hoped. She nodded her head, understanding his meaning. She looked slightly sad. When she was in arm's reach he squeezed her hand, her face brightened a bit. Rook smiled and she smiled back.

"Go pack up, we're moving," He said softly. She let go of his hand then took it again. She grasped it firmly and began to walk away, letting go when her arm reached its full length.

Rook sighed as he watched her go off. She would survive this, he promised himself that. 

"Sir? We are ready to move," Tucker's voice brought him out of his thought. He glanced around. The camp was replaced by a bunch of haggard men, standing in formation. Tucker lowered his voice, "She'll make it back, don't worry,"

Rook grunted acknowledgement. 

"I figured you'd want to talk to them before we head off. One last brief," Tucker said.

Rook nodded and Tucker took his place behind him.

"Alright men, this is it. Our objective is right behind those walls and I have direct access to the target himself. This is going to be an in and out operation. I will bring a small squad in with me to apprehend Dannison. The rest of you will cover us. We will need to get out quickly and quietly. As soon as the target is dead we will leave under the pretence of a new mission from the man himself. We will march hard and light. I want to reach the Capital quickly so when the rebels discover what happened we will be long gone. Understood? Good. You have all done me proud thus far. Let's show the rebels what we are made of once and for all,"